Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Help with Encoding Extended Characters

Help with Encoding Extended Characters

Sean O'Dwyer

Hi,

I have data coming into a script from a Web form. Everything's fine and
running normally, but when the Perl script sends the data via e-mail to
my (Hispanic) client the extended characters are munged...

>D'a
>DIRECCIîN
>CîDIGO POSTAL
>DIRECCIîN PAêS: Espa-a

....when they should read...

>Día
>DIRECCIÓN
>CÓDIGO POSTAL
>DIRECCIÓN PAÍS: España

These characters are embedded into my script as follows...

>print MAIL "TELÉFONO: $variable\n";
>print MAIL "DIRECCIÓN: $variable\n";
>print MAIL "CÓDIGO POSTAL: $variable\n";
>print MAIL "DIRECCIÓN PAÍS: $variable\n";
>etc.

The problem may be related to the fact I'm Mac-based. I upload via FTP
binary and use UNIX linebreaks, etc., but obviously I'm not encoding the
extended chars correctly.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sean