Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > A couple of hash questions

A couple of hash questions

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Dave Saville wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:57:18 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> I have never used Storable, but I'm storing a few small hashes in
>> SDBM files. I have never benchmarked, but it seems to be more
>> durable than plain text files, and the minimum size of an SDBM
>> database is just 1 kiB.
>>
>> What is it that makes you say it would be overkill?

> I am only talking a couple of thousand pairs - and I don't have a
> DB installed - at least not on this box and in any case I might be
> releasing the code to a few friends and I can be sure they won't -
> a plain file or a perl internal type file would be portable code.

Simple DBM files (SDBM) are portable, at least between *nix and
Windows platforms. SDBM_File.pm, which gives you tied access to such
files, comes with Perl, and does not require any separate database
program.

I'm not saying it's better, but I still believe it would be an
alternative to you.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Dave Saville

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:10:09 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

>Simple DBM files (SDBM) are portable, at least between *nix and
>Windows platforms. SDBM_File.pm, which gives you tied access to such
>files, comes with Perl, and does not require any separate database
>program.
>
>I'm not saying it's better, but I still believe it would be an
>alternative to you.

OK I will look into it. Thanks.

Regards

Dave Saville