Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Plugin Framework

Plugin Framework

Vikas

Hi,

I have been programming in Perl for long and at number of places I come
across modules which say they follow a plugin framework and anyone can
plug their plugins (codes) into their software.

Can anyone give me pointers as to how to develop such a software which
supports plugin framework . I mean can I read articles or tutorials about
it somewhere?

Thanks,
Vikas.

pkent

In article <(E-Mail Removed) lo.EDU>,
Vikas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been programming in Perl for long and at number of places I come
> across modules which say they follow a plugin framework and anyone can
> plug their plugins (codes) into their software.
>
> Can anyone give me pointers as to how to develop such a software which
> supports plugin framework . I mean can I read articles or tutorials about
> it somewhere?

I don't know of any good tutorials etc on the subject but here's what
general info I've learnt about such plugin architectures from building
and using them:

* plugins are loaded on demand
* plugins are generally best modelled as classes, so you load the plugin
class and instantiate a plugin object of that class
* plugins conform to a specified API. Some methods may be mandatory,
some may be optional, and so on, but there must be some standard to work
with
* the API can be as simple or as complex as you need. One class of
plugins I wrote has one constructor method (returns a new object), and
one object method (returns 1 or 0)
* Inheritance can be very useful. E.g. an X::Y factory class produces
X::Y::Foo and X::Y::Bar (etc..) objects, and those objects inherit some
methods from X::Y, maybe things such as debugging routines, file I/O,
and so on.

If you've got any more details about the kind of plugins and application
you want to write there's probably some more specific pointers.

Remove the tea to reply