Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Net-Telnet-Cisco module

Net-Telnet-Cisco module

Prashant Varghese

Hi everybody,

I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco module
from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?

#tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
#

Kindly reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant

Louis Erickson

John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Prashant Varghese wrote:

:> Hi everybody,
:>
:> I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco
:> module from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?
:>
:> #tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

: Which OS? IIRC Sun OS has a broken tar.

How did you download it? If you used a browser, it may have helpfully
ungzipped it for you, and not mentioned that fact.

To find out, ask tar to run a table of contents of the file:

tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

If that's the case, rename the file so there's no .gz extension or you'll
only be confused later. And don't download with that browser any more.

--
Louis Erickson - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://www.rdwarf.com/~wwonko/

Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs there.
-- Sydney J. Harris

Darren Dunham

John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Prashant Varghese wrote:

>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco module
>> from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?
>>
>> #tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz

> Which OS? IIRC Sun OS has a broken tar.

(not that this has much to do with perl...)
You trimmed the wonderful error message.

>> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

Sun tar doesn't recognize gzip files (or the -z) flag, so that's not the
problem. Tar says it's not a gzip file. Old versions of Netscape used
to ungzip dowloads, but keep the .gz extension...

Or maybe an ascii download of a binary file. Probably not, but closer
inspection of the file (or a second attempt to download) may be
warranted.

--
Darren Dunham (E-Mail Removed)
Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Uri Guttman

>> Sun tar doesn't recognize gzip files (or the -z) flag, so that's not the

JB> Didn't know that. I remember that Sun's tar is broken somehow.

i wouldn't say broken, more like outdated. gnu tar has more features. i
use solaris but i have all the common gnu unix tools installed to
replace the solaris ones.

and i do use the -z option on tar all the time so i would never use
solaris' tar.

uri

Damian Conway Class in Boston - Sept 2003 -- http://www.stemsystems.com/class

Trent Curry

John Bokma wrote:
> Darren Dunham wrote:

[snipage]
>> problem. Tar says it's not a gzip file. Old versions of Netscape
>> used to ungzip dowloads, but keep the .gz extension...

> Weird. I remember IE messing up the extension.

IE on a UNIX system??? (Yes theres Wine, but afaik, IE (windows), since 4.x
atleast has always been fine with downloading binaries, and it'll be a cold
day in hell that'll IE would ever ungzip a gz file.

--
Trent Curry

perl -e
'($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1)!eg
;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

Trent Curry

Uri Guttman wrote:

> >> Sun tar doesn't recognize gzip files (or the -z) flag, so that's

> not the
>
>> Didn't know that. I remember that Sun's tar is broken somehow.

> i wouldn't say broken, more like outdated. gnu tar has more features.
> use solaris but i have all the common gnu unix tools installed to
> replace the solaris ones.
>
> and i do use the -z option on tar all the time so i would never use
> solaris' tar.

True to that; sometiems it's good to stay up to date

I once knew someone who had 6 difference builds of tar and ls, 3 different
versions of emacs, 8, count 'em, 8 different versions of vi, all on one
system, as a result of everyone on the system complaining. (He's a sysadmin
for 200 some odd user office network. Just comes to show that not everyone
wants the newest, though sometimes it can be better, especially in the case
of Solaris.

--

John Bokma wrote:
> Trent Curry wrote:
>
>> John Bokma wrote:
>>
>>> Darren Dunham wrote:

>> [snipage]

>>> Weird. I remember IE messing up the extension.

>> IE on a UNIX system??? (Yes theres Wine, but afaik, IE (windows),
>> since 4.x atleast has always been fine with downloading binaries,
>> and it'll be a cold day in hell that'll IE would ever ungzip a gz
>> file.

> Not on *Nix system (altough there has been an announcement for an IE
> version for Solaris IIRC, don't know if it has been available). What I
> mean is that IE has the nasty habbit to change the extension. IIRC it
> turns tar.gz into tar.tar

I do remember something like that, probably older versions (4/3?). Never had
that proplem with IE 5 and 6.

--

Louis Erickson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bl27uj$9ia$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Prashant Varghese wrote:
>
> :> Hi everybody,
> :>
> :> I'm getting the following error when i try to unpack the Net-Telnet-Cisco
> :> module from CPAN.Has anyone faced this ?How can get out of this problem?
> :>
> :> #tar -zxvf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
>
> : Which OS? IIRC Sun OS has a broken tar.
>
> How did you download it? If you used a browser, it may have helpfully
> ungzipped it for you, and not mentioned that fact.
>
> To find out, ask tar to run a table of contents of the file:
>
> tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
>
> If that's the case, rename the file so there's no .gz extension or you'll
> only be confused later. And don't download with that browser any more.

Hi ,
Thanks for the reply..I'm using Red Hat Linux
I used these browsers Galeon,Konquero and Netscape.
All are giving the same error.As u said i tried using the tar -tf
command and here's the output of that

#tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
tar: 40 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive

Also i tried renaming it to .tar file and tried tar -xvf and still got
the same output as given above in this message.

Any idea whats wrong?

Kindly reply
Thanks and regards,
Prashant

Bob Walton

Prashant Varghese wrote:

> Louis Erickson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bl27uj$9ia$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>: Prashant Varghese wrote:

> Thanks for the reply..I'm using Red Hat Linux
> I used these browsers Galeon,Konquero and Netscape.
> All are giving the same error.As u said i tried using the tar -tf
> command and here's the output of that
>
> #tar -tf Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
> tar: 40 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive
>
> Also i tried renaming it to .tar file and tried tar -xvf and still got
> the same output as given above in this message.
>
> Any idea whats wrong?

> Prashant

FWIW: It downloads and unzips/untars fine using WinZip on Windoze 98SE.
I downloaded with Netscape 6.2 .

--
Bob Walton

Prashant Varghese

Hi all,

Finally we could sort out the problem.The downloaded file was not
tar.gz file itself ,wonder Y?
just see this:

#file Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz
Net-Telnet-Cisco-1.10.tar.gz: ASCII text, with no line terminators

Also the size of this file was 40 Bytes!!
So we did an ftp to the server and have downloaded the actual file.But
can anyone tell me why through browser i was getting this ..i tried
Netscape also..

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant