Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > newbie question

newbie question

kaptain kernel

sorry , i'm new to perl.

i'm trying to decipher some perl code at work, and i was wondering what does
this mean:

$myvariable=100*

doe this mean multiple myvariable by 100?

Anno Siegel

kaptain kernel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> sorry , i'm new to perl.
>
> i'm trying to decipher some perl code at work, and i was wondering what does
> this mean:
>
> $myvariable=100*
>

> doe this mean multiple myvariable by 100?

No. It's not Perl. Copy and paste the actual code.

Anno

kaptain kernel

Anno Siegel wrote:

> kaptain kernel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>> sorry , i'm new to perl.
>>
>> i'm trying to decipher some perl code at work, and i was wondering what
>> does this mean:
>>
>> $myvariable=100*
>>

>> doe this mean multiple myvariable by 100?

> No. It's not Perl. Copy and paste the actual code.
>
> Anno

my bad - the code was poorly formatted.

it looked like this:

$myvariable=100*

$anothervariable

when it should be

$myvariable=100*$anothervariable

Anno Siegel

kaptain kernel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Anno Siegel wrote:
>
> > kaptain kernel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> >> sorry , i'm new to perl.
> >>
> >> i'm trying to decipher some perl code at work, and i was wondering what
> >> does this mean:
> >>
> >> $myvariable=100*
> >>

> >> doe this mean multiple myvariable by 100?

> > No. It's not Perl. Copy and paste the actual code.
> >
> > Anno

> my bad - the code was poorly formatted.
>
> it looked like this:
>
> $myvariable=100*
>

> $anothervariable
>

> when it should be
>
> $myvariable=100*$anothervariable

To answer your question, that multiplies the value in $anothervariable
with 100 and assigns the result to $myvariable. The statement is still
missing a semicolon (";") at the end, which would be needed if more
statements were to follow.

However, this isn't going to take you anywhere. You are not going
to learn Perl by presenting tiny snippets of Perl code to the group
asking for an explanation. The group isn't going to go along much
either.

Get a decent tutorial, like _Learning Perl_ from O'Reilly. If that
raises specific questions, you can ask them here.

Anno