Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > favicon.ico and perl

favicon.ico and perl

Arjen

Hi,

I want to use a favicon.ico in a perl-script. So when the perl-script is
called the icon appears in the address bar of the browser.
When I put <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"> within
the outputted html, it doesn't work.

May be someone has suggestions ?

Thx,

Arjen

John J. Trammell

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:34:37 +0200, Arjen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to use a favicon.ico in a perl-script. So when the perl-script
> is called the icon appears in the address bar of the browser.
> When I put <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
> within the outputted html, it doesn't work.
>
> May be someone has suggestions ?

Stop using "lynx" as your browser?

Matthew Braid

Arjen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use a favicon.ico in a perl-script. So when the perl-script is
> called the icon appears in the address bar of the browser.
> When I put <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"> within
> the outputted html, it doesn't work.
>
> May be someone has suggestions ?
>
> Thx,
>
> Arjen

If you're using IE you've got to remember that IE only uses favicons if
you actually make the page a favourite (ie it appears somewhere in the
Favorites menu). It'll be ignored otherwise.

Note this is for given versions of IE. I reserve the right not to go
figure out which versions

MB

Arjen

> If you're using IE you've got to remember that IE only uses favicons if
> you actually make the page a favourite (ie it appears somewhere in the
> Favorites menu). It'll be ignored otherwise.
>
> Note this is for given versions of IE. I reserve the right not to go
> figure out which versions

Thank you for your comments. I tried it with other browsers also and IE is
the only browser where it doesn't work I thouht that especially with IE
it should work...

But now I know it !

Thankls again,

Arjen

Michael Budash

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>,
"Ian.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:19:58 +0200, Arjen wrote:
>
> > I thouht that especially with
> > IE it should work...

> IE is _the_ worst browser for anything rational.. it's a horrible piece of
> software to work with, as it tends to render what it assumes should be
> right (which very often isn't) rather than how you actually coded things.

unfortunately, it _is_ the major installed browser. plus, it has [at
least one of] the best DOM implementations, which does matter when
you're doing moderately trick DHTML/CSS.
--
Michael Budash

Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Michael Budash wrote:

> plus, it has [at least one of] the best DOM implementations, which
> does matter when you're doing moderately trick DHTML/CSS.

If it hurts when you try to do that, maybe the answer would be to stop
doing it. SCNR.