Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > PPM problems

PPM problems

David McDivitt

I read what I could find about package importing prior to posting. When I
typed:

ppm install DBI

I received an error and what I read indicated it was because of our
firewall. I displayed connection properties in internet explorer and found
the following:

a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080

The following environment variable was added to Win2000:

set HTTP_PROXY=a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080

Now I the following error with PPM:

Error: No valid repositories: Error: 501 Protocol scheme
'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported Error: 501 Protocol
scheme 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported

DBI.zip was downloaded from ActivePerl and unzipped into a folder honoring
folder names in the zip file. When I type the following:

ppm install DBI.ppd

I still get the internet error above. I would like to know two things.
First, how do I get rid of the internet error so I don't have to download
stuff. Second, why is it trying to use the internet if I invoked PPM from
within the directory I unzipped the files. Thanks

D Borland

Does your firewall require a username and password, if so i believe you need
to set HTTP_proxy_user and HTTP_proxy_pass

If that isn't it you can try here, were you'll see many people seem to
suffer from ppm http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mai...e/Threaded/ppm

Hope tat helps you

Dagmar

"David McDivitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read what I could find about package importing prior to posting. When I
> typed:
>
> ppm install DBI
>
> I received an error and what I read indicated it was because of our
> firewall. I displayed connection properties in internet explorer and found
> the following:
>
> a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080
>
> The following environment variable was added to Win2000:
>
> set HTTP_PROXY=a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080
>
> Now I the following error with PPM:
>
> Error: No valid repositories: Error: 501 Protocol scheme
> 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported Error: 501 Protocol
> scheme 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported
>
> DBI.zip was downloaded from ActivePerl and unzipped into a folder honoring
> folder names in the zip file. When I type the following:
>
> ppm install DBI.ppd
>
> I still get the internet error above. I would like to know two things.
> First, how do I get rid of the internet error so I don't have to download
> stuff. Second, why is it trying to use the internet if I invoked PPM from
> within the directory I unzipped the files. Thanks

Bob Walton

David McDivitt wrote:

> I read what I could find about package importing prior to posting. When I
> typed:
>
> ppm install DBI
>
> I received an error and what I read indicated it was because of our
> firewall. I displayed connection properties in internet explorer and found
> the following:
>
> a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080
>
> The following environment variable was added to Win2000:
>
> set HTTP_PROXY=a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080
>
> Now I the following error with PPM:
>
> Error: No valid repositories: Error: 501 Protocol scheme
> 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported Error: 501 Protocol
> scheme 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported
>
> DBI.zip was downloaded from ActivePerl and unzipped into a folder honoring
> folder names in the zip file. When I type the following:
>
> ppm install DBI.ppd
>
> I still get the internet error above. I would like to know two things.
> First, how do I get rid of the internet error so I don't have to download
> stuff. Second, why is it trying to use the internet if I invoked PPM from
> within the directory I unzipped the files. Thanks

I think you'll have to follow the detail of your proxy

server implementation to the letter, including the

provision of a userID and password, in order to get
the internet repositories to work. To get your own
files to work, you will need to add the directory
where they appear to your list of "active repositories".
Look at the "ppm repository add" command in perldoc ppm.
If you didn't get the proxy to work, you might need to
"ppm repository delete" the default internet repository.

--
Bob Walton

David McDivitt

Thanks Bob and Dagmar.

>From: Bob Walton <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:44:11 GMT

<snip>

>I think you'll have to follow the detail of your proxy
>
>server implementation to the letter, including the
>
>provision of a userID and password, in order to get
>the internet repositories to work. To get your own
>files to work, you will need to add the directory
>where they appear to your list of "active repositories".
>Look at the "ppm repository add" command in perldoc ppm.
>If you didn't get the proxy to work, you might need to
>"ppm repository delete" the default internet repository.

--
http://nonspiritual.com
http://freeconservative.org

David McDivitt

My problem was I did not place HTTP:// in front of the string assigned to
the HTTP_PROXY environment variable.

WIN32 PPM and perldoc problems jovo.miskin@sciatl.com Perl Misc 11 06-30-2006 06:33 AM
PPM and Proxy alex Perl 0 06-18-2004 11:40 AM
ppm: ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel Marko Faldix Perl Misc 3 01-27-2004 05:47 AM
ActivePerl - PPM 3.1 upgrade of perl-ldap does not work WS Perl 0 01-04-2004 04:45 PM
Problem using ActiveState PPM to install module Irwin Friedman Perl 1 09-06-2003 10:57 PM

Advertisments