Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > CGI.pm

CGI.pm

D Borland

OK, dudes i understand - I'm a lazy git, and i really gotta get my head out
my arse and in gear!

Maybe not in those exact words, but i understand.

Thanks

"Tore Aursand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:53:15 +0100, D Borland wrote:
> > How do i go about get a parameter list from a form, without having to

use
> > CGI.pm?

> You don't want to _not_ use CGI.pm. Reading - and parsing - web requests
> is quite hard, but CGI.pm makes it extremely easy.
>
> Read the CGI.pm documentation. It takes you 15 minutes to browse through
> it and learn what you're looking for. Later on, you will have a clue
> where to start reading when you encounter a CGI-related problem.
>

> --
> Tore Aursand <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is white, the best
> golfer is black, France is accusing US of arrogance and Germany doesn't
> want to go to war."

Tore Aursand

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:41:13 +0100, D Borland wrote:
> OK, dudes i understand - I'm a lazy git, and i really gotta get my head out
> my arse and in gear!

While you're at it: Stop top-posting.

--
Tore Aursand <(E-Mail Removed)>

"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is white, the best
golfer is black, France is accusing US of arrogance and Germany doesn't
want to go to war."

Robert

Lincoln Stein is my Hero! You need to change professions!

"D Borland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4WEbb.734$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> How do i go about get a parameter list from a form, without having to use
> CGI.pm?
>
> I was going to use this, but it's just a waste of time learning how to use
> it correctly - i mean if i wanted to read, read, read and read i would

have
> just got a job in a library. It's something that i have been finding with
> perl more and more. I finished reading the Llama about a week ago, and

have
> since been horrified by sheer mass of perl bits and bobs. The TMTOWTDI
> motto, is all well and fine but it also helps to badly confuse a beginner

in
> language, you read a peice of text from one person and later you read
> another telling you that what you just read, isn't the best or safest way

> do it, then later on you read that, that people don't like it that way
> either, but prefer to do this. Then there's all the modules, soom seem to
> have tried to re-create a sub-language within perl as some of the syntax

for
> some modules i have seen. Then there's the book on every kind of subject
> that you can think of with perl - (i ain't rich and can't afford these, so
> perl's free but learning it's not? as the only other alternative to

outdated
> or badly coded tutorials by the odd perl programmer) To be quite honest

the
> only reason i chose perl over PHP was because i believe(d) that PHP was

just
> a hype and when when perl6 is released everyone would come flooding back

> perl, et cetera, but somehow i'm starting to think i chose wrong Maybe
> PHP was the better choice.
>
> Well that's a little bit of the stress perl has given me gone... sigh
>
> Dagmar

Trent Curry

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
> Trent Curry ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan wrote:

>>> If what you need is web-based stuff, by all means, use PHP. That's
>>> what it's there for.

>> Perl works quite well for web apps too you know ;-p

> Yes, but it's at least as good to use php if you don't want to read
> the perl manuals.

Well, both have good uses in this area. I really depends on what you really
want to achieve, and which tool you'd prefer to use. I just happen to be
more comfortable with Perl. Other people may wish to use php.

What ever floats thy boat

--
Trent Curry

perl -e
'($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1)!eg
;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

Trent Curry

Trent Curry wrote:
> Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
>> Trent Curry ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

>>> Perl works quite well for web apps too you know ;-p

>> Yes, but it's at least as good to use php if you don't want to read
>> the perl manuals.

> Well, both have good uses in this area. I really depends on what you
> really want to achieve, and which tool you'd prefer to use. I just
> happen to be more comfortable with Perl. Other people may wish to use
> php.
>
> What ever floats thy boat

oops, I mis read your line. True, if you really want to make good use of
Perl, you must know that perldoc is your friend, and not a burden.

On that note, I've seen the docs at www.php.net, and I'd say they too would
require getting aquainted too for any successful task in php, save maybe
Hello World level examples...

--
Trent Curry

perl -e
'($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1)!eg
;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

D Borland

What r u talking about!???!!!!

Dagmar

"Tore Aursand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:41:13 +0100, D Borland wrote:
> > OK, dudes i understand - I'm a lazy git, and i really gotta get my head

out
> > my arse and in gear!

> While you're at it: Stop top-posting.
>

> --
> Tore Aursand <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is white, the best
> golfer is black, France is accusing US of arrogance and Germany doesn't
> want to go to war."

Eric J. Roode

Eric J. Roode

Juha Laiho

"Trent Curry" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>On that note, I've seen the docs at www.php.net, and I'd say they too would
>require getting aquainted too for any successful task in php, save maybe
>Hello World level examples...

They do require -- worst thing being that the single set of
documentation tries to cover several versions, and so contains
examples (and even syntax/usage descriptions) that either require
older or newer version of PHP that you happen to be using. And
of course, different parts of the documentation are primarily
written for different PHP versions.
--
Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

Trent Curry

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
> Trent Curry ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan wrote:

>>> If what you need is web-based stuff, by all means, use PHP. That's
>>> what it's there for.

>> Perl works quite well for web apps too you know ;-p

> Yes, but it's at least as good to use php if you don't want to read
> the perl manuals.

Just a little note I wanted to add:

If you prefer the front end inline code style like php or asp, Perl can do
it too: Apache::ASP; asp using Perl for the host language.