Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl/IIS Permission Problem

Perl/IIS Permission Problem

Shane Freeman

I am having a horrible time getting the permissions set correctly
using ActivePerl and IIS 5.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I currently have a site set up that has a test.cgi and a test.pl file
in the root directly. Both of them work just fine. This root
directory is accessible by anonymous internet acccount.

Inside of the root directory I have a CMS folder that contains the
same test.cgi and test.pl files. I have removed the anonymous user
account from having permission to the CMS and all sub-folders and
added another user that requires a login. When I browse to either of
these two files it prompts me for a userID and password (working
correctly). When I try and run test.pl it work correctly. When I try
to run test.cgi I receive the following error.
---
CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete
set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Can't open perl script "c:\websites\www.mysite.com\cms\test.cgi":
Permission denied
---
Can anybody shed any light on this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

Helgi Briem

On 9 Sep 2003 14:46:29 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Shane
Freeman) wrote:

>I am having a horrible time getting the permissions set correctly
>using ActivePerl and IIS 5.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your Question is Frequently Asked. Answers to Freqently
Asked Questions are to be found in the perlFAQ documentation
that comes bundled with every distribution of Perl. It can
be browsed and searched using the perldoc program that
also comes with every distribution of Perl. The command
perldoc perldoc for more info. The Activeperl distro also
comes with the docs in HTML format in C:\Perl\html\index.html

perldoc -q 500
"My CGI script runs from the command line but not the browser.
(500 Server Error)

>Can't open perl script "c:\websites\www.mysite.com\cms\test.cgi":
>Permission denied

>Can anybody shed any light on this problem?

The most likely reason is that the IIS webserver runs
as an anonymous user with less rights than a normal
user such as yourself. This is good. You have to
explicitly permit this user (used to be called IUSR_servername)
to read and execute the CGI program.

Further, this question is off-topic in this newsgroup
and should be addressed to a group about web server
configuration or CGI such as:

comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

Fixed: The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 1 06-29-2009 06:17 PM
Show stopper problem!! Parser Error Message: Execute permission cannot be acquired David Berman ASP .Net 0 06-22-2004 08:37 PM
FileStream permission problem with asp.NET web application! =?Utf-8?B?TWlrYWVsIEd1c3RhZnNzb24=?= ASP .Net 4 05-28-2004 06:39 AM
Permission's Problem Andy ASP .Net 6 11-27-2003 08:33 AM
Problem connecting to database - "already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data" Tom Wild ASP .Net 0 08-14-2003 12:23 AM

Advertisments