Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Bizarre SvTYPE after fork on W2K Server

Bizarre SvTYPE after fork on W2K Server

Ganchrow Harris Peck

Running ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 806 on Winows2K Server SP4.

A particular program I run tries once per day to fork off a process. It's
always worked before but has now recently stopped.

The syntax of the perl code is:
exec($CMD_vb) unless fork;

The child process never starts and the parent immediately terminates.

The error I get is Bizarre SvTYPE [53] at script.pl line ###.

Any idea what could possibly have suddenly caused this to occur?

--
To e-mail me directly, please change "nospam" in my e-mail address to
"yahoo".

Thanks,
Ganchrow

Ganchrow Harris Peck

"Ganchrow Harris Peck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:er07b.19607$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 806 on Winows2K Server SP4.
>
> A particular program I run tries once per day to fork off a process. It's
> always worked before but has now recently stopped.
>
> The syntax of the perl code is:
> exec($CMD_vb) unless fork;
>
> The child process never starts and the parent immediately terminates.
>
> The error I get is Bizarre SvTYPE [53] at script.pl line ###.
>
> Any idea what could possibly have suddenly caused this to occur?

Interestingly enough (well interesting to me anyway) this Bizarre SvTYPE
error does not occur with the command:

system(1, $CMD);

which I thought did exactly the same thing as

exec($CMD) unless fork;

--
To e-mail me directly, please change "nospam" in my e-mail address to
"yahoo".

Thanks,
Ganchrow

Ganchrow Harris Peck

"Ganchrow Harris Peck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4H07b.89212$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ganchrow Harris Peck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:er07b.19607$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Running ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 806 on Winows2K Server SP4.
> >
> > A particular program I run tries once per day to fork off a process.

It's
> > always worked before but has now recently stopped.
> >
> > The syntax of the perl code is:
> > exec($CMD_vb) unless fork;
> >
> > The child process never starts and the parent immediately terminates.
> >
> > The error I get is Bizarre SvTYPE [53] at script.pl line ###.
> >
> > Any idea what could possibly have suddenly caused this to occur?
> >

> Interestingly enough (well interesting to me anyway) this Bizarre SvTYPE
> error does not occur with the command:
>
> system(1, $CMD);
>
> which I thought did exactly the same thing as
>
> exec($CMD) unless fork;

OK, how about this:

sub myfork { fork; }

When the myfork sub is called as
&myfork;

I get a windows error.

When it's called as:
&myfork();

No error.

Hmm ...

os.fork and pty.fork Eric Snow Python 0 01-08-2009 06:32 AM
bizarre server.transfer behavior ChaunceyMo@gmail.com ASP .Net 5 11-15-2005 11:18 PM
Server.Transfer - very bizarre Stan ASP .Net 4 06-25-2005 03:06 AM
W2K Prof. to W2K Prof. File & Printer Sharing Not Working =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= Wireless Networking 14 12-17-2004 06:20 PM
ASP.Net security after SP4 on W2k Server Mathew ASP .Net 4 12-03-2003 07:40 PM

Advertisments