Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Newby Question: Displaying Excel from within my CGI

Newby Question: Displaying Excel from within my CGI

I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from Postgres
and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How can this be done?
Thanks!

Kevin

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

> I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from
> Postgres and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How
> can this be done?

CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...

Do you have a Perl question?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Amir Kadic

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have created a table from my CGI program with data coming from Postgres
> and I want to now display this table as an Excel file. How can this be
> done? Thanks!
>
> Kevin

An old excel format (still recognized by newer versions)
uses newlines to separate rows and tabs to separate columns.

Thus, you may want to write something like:

print join ("\t", @attributes),"\n";

to display a row.

HTH
Amir

Cyde Weys

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
>
> Do you have a Perl question?

Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption I
garnered from his post, anyway).

"Cyde Weys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjgdkg$3pc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
> >
> > Do you have a Perl question?

> Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption I
> garnered from his post, anyway).

I want to do it in Perl.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
>>
>> Do you have a Perl question?

> Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption
> I garnered from his post, anyway).

Really? The reason why I pretended not to 'understand' is that
OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made any own
attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for 'Excel' at
search.cpan.org...

Maybe that's just me, but I think it's reasonable to expect some own
effort before asking for help here.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Trent Curry

"Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjgepo$iovdq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Cyde Weys wrote:
> > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> >> CGI ... Postgres ... Excel ...
> >>
> >> Do you have a Perl question?

> > Maybe he wanted to do it with Perl (That's the unspoken assumption
> > I garnered from his post, anyway).

> Really? The reason why I pretended not to 'understand' is that
> OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made any own
> attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for 'Excel' at
> search.cpan.org...

Well, he is posting this in a Perl group, so one could assume he meant in
Perl. As for weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
bit inconclusive.

> Maybe that's just me, but I think it's reasonable to expect some own
> effort before asking for help here.

How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't seem like
something trivial and while Excel itself may be off topic, there could be
something in Perl that can be of some relation, say creating a tab delimited
file that can be easily made into an Excel spread sheet. But that would not
make it directly related, and may not be what the OP is looking for.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Trent Curry wrote:
> "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjgepo$iovdq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made
>> any own attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for
>> 'Excel' at search.cpan.org...

> ... weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
> bit inconclusive.

<snip>

> How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't
> seem like something trivial and while Excel itself may be off
> topic, there could be something in Perl that can be of some
> relation,

There sure is. If he had made just a little effort to look for it (see
above), he would have found it. And if the difficulties had been about
how to make use of an adequate module, he would at least have
mentioned it.

"Last" attempt? Don't think so.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Trent Curry

"Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjhctm$j0ffm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Trent Curry wrote:
> > "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bjgepo$iovdq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> OP's "How can this be done?" doesn't indicate that he had made
> >> any own attempt to find a solution. Such as a simple search for
> >> 'Excel' at search.cpan.org...

> > ... weather or not he did any prior homework, well I think its a
> > bit inconclusive.

> <snip>

My mistake. Running a quick query @ search.cpan.org yields a sizable list of
results ;p

> > How do we know this isn't his last desperate attempt? This doesn't
> > seem like something trivial and while Excel itself may be off
> > topic, there could be something in Perl that can be of some
> > relation,

> There sure is. If he had made just a little effort to look for it (see
> above), he would have found it. And if the difficulties had been about
> how to make use of an adequate module, he would at least have
> mentioned it.

I stand corrected.

> "Last" attempt? Don't think so.

No arg there. I completely over looked the reference cpan in your post. I
was sort of assuming he had been there and didn't think anything of it.
Thanks for correcting that