Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > libxml-perl-0.07 and perl5.8.0 - fails test

libxml-perl-0.07 and perl5.8.0 - fails test

dj

Hi,
Does anyone know if libxml-perl works with perl 5.8.0. I read something in
the xml-perl archive that suggested that there may be a problem with this,
but it was a rather old message. I am trying to get XML::Grove to work, but
of course it needs libxml-perl. Has anyone come accross this problem?

during the make test, libxml-perl fails at t/stream (test 11) every other
test is fine except this one.

Any help would be greately appreciated,

Drew J

James Willmore

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 05:42:32 GMT
"dj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> during the make test, libxml-perl fails at t/stream (test 11) every
> other test is fine except this one.

Does it say why it fails? Have you read the README for the module?

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Garbage In -- Gospel Out.

dj

Hi,

Yes, I have read the README: not much there.

The fail does not give any specific information about why the failure
occurs, except that it is test 11 of 11 in t/stream.t
I tried running 'perl t/stream.t' and it gave even less info: Not OK!
I don't have the source code in front of me at the moment, but to be honest
I didnt really make much sense of it
The mailing archive I read suggested that it _may_ have been something to
with Unicode compatability, but as I mentioned, I only found a single
reference to this.

I have been wrestling with this for a while: all I really want to do is put
the text content from an xml file into an easily readable data structure.
Am I going about this the wrong way?

regards,

Drew

"James Willmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 05:42:32 GMT
> "dj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > during the make test, libxml-perl fails at t/stream (test 11) every
> > other test is fine except this one.
> >

> Does it say why it fails? Have you read the README for the module?
>
> --
> Jim
>
> Copyright notice: all code written by the author in this post is
> released under the GPL. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
> for more information.
>
> a fortune quote ...
> Garbage In -- Gospel Out.

James Willmore

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 22:34:08 +1000
"dj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The fail does not give any specific information about why the
> failure occurs, except that it is test 11 of 11 in t/stream.t
> I tried running 'perl t/stream.t' and it gave even less info: Not
> OK! I don't have the source code in front of me at the moment, but
> to be honest I didnt really make much sense of it
> The mailing archive I read suggested that it _may_ have been
> something to with Unicode compatability, but as I mentioned, I only
> found a single reference to this.
>
> I have been wrestling with this for a while: all I really want to
> do is put the text content from an xml file into an easily readable
> data structure. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Are you building using CPAN or by hand? Try it by hand (perl
Makefile.PL;make;make test;make install). This may shed _some_ light
on what's going on.

If you've done this already, you could email the author.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
The best way to make a fire with two sticks is to make sure one
<of them is a match. -- Will Rogers

dj

Yep, was doing by hand.
No light

I don't have time to muck around with, so have moved on to using
XML::LibXSLT to extract the bits i want. Not terribly efficient I am sure,
but when you are pressed for time, it is amazing what you can put up with

Thanks for trying.