Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Fax via ISDN-Card, and scanning with multifunctional device

Fax via ISDN-Card, and scanning with multifunctional device

upro

Hi there!

Some 10 days ago I convinced a Windows hardliner to switch to Linux
completely!

Basically he was ****ed off by virusses (I think he got SOBIG or
something similar). I got him to by a pack of SuSE 8.1 and installed
it for him.

I myself do use Slackware, since years, and I love it because of ots
ease, clarity and because of the absence of anything line linuxconf or
yast, tools which INHO never really do what they should. linuxconf was
real crap until I stopped to use RedHat at the company (7.0
then). yast/yast2 seems better, and anyway there's no other way for a
newbie who doesn't want to get into linux computing, but who wants to
remain a plain "user". So I am not really proficient in the SuSE
way...

Well, so far everything works for him: Banking, printing, DSL
internet, e-mail, DVD, TV etc. but he needs two more things: fax and
scanning.

Now this is a prob for me, because he has a somewhat strange config:

He has no modem, only an ISDN card, and he uses a HP OfficeJet (I
think the model is K60 or similar, I don't have it in fromt of me. DId
I mention my froend is some 800 km away?)

I installed efax, and he has also hylafax. I have no clue how to get
this ISDN card to send faxes. No ISDN at my place, no DSL, no
multifunctional device etc.

I also do have no clue about how to get scaning to work with his
OfficeJet. Yast searches for USB os SCSI scanners, but his device is
connected via parport, as it is a parallel printer...

Any help in getting his fax and scanner to work is greatly
appreciated!

Hope to hear from ya!

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

upro

SORRY SORRY, ACCIDENTALLY POSTED TO THE WRONG GROUP!