Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Killing frozen system("something.exe") call - how?

Killing frozen system("something.exe") call - how?

Alexandre Bougakov

Hello,

I am using ActivePerl under Windows. I wrote a small script that
indexes a lot of *.pdf and *.doc files in a given directory using
external parsers.

It finds a file, and calls

system ("${doc2text_path}doc2text.exe -d cp1251 ${filename} >
${temp}output.txt");

the problem is that doc2text.exe "freezes" on some documents. It
outputs the text, but suddently stops, put Perl keeps waiting for it
to finish. I have to kill the script manually, delete the file that
caused the converter to stop and restart it all again.

The question is: can I make Perl to stop waiting for a called external
program to finish after one minute, for example, and than to kill the
frosen app., say "oops.." and to continue with the next commands?

Thanks in advance,
Sanja

Compiling xpython: No rule to make target `runathana.py', needed by `frozen/frozen.c'. est Python 1 10-11-2010 03:35 AM
Frozen Firefox? John Firefox 1 07-21-2005 10:41 PM
System Frozen while updating argus Microsoft Certification 0 08-17-2004 03:11 PM
Catalyst 4506 frozen and losing startup-config jmark Cisco 0 04-28-2004 06:10 AM
Frozen string problem, but I haven't frozen anything? LC Geldenhuys Ruby 5 02-18-2004 08:13 AM

Advertisments