Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox?

Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox?

Jeff Ingram

Hello,

Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox? Say there
were several sites that I always open and I'd like to open them at the same
time as a group. Is there an extension available that will let me do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mark

Jeff Ingram wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox? Say there
> were several sites that I always open and I'd like to open them at the same
> time as a group. Is there an extension available that will let me do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Use the bookmarks manager and create a folder...
inside the folder save the links you want to open in a group.

Now click on the bookmark folder and select open in tabs...

What I did was create groups and save them in my toolbar folder...

works like a charm.

happy surfing.

Mark

maxo

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:56:24 +1000, Mark wrote:

> Jeff Ingram wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox? Say there
>> were several sites that I always open and I'd like to open them at the same
>> time as a group. Is there an extension available that will let me do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Use the bookmarks manager and create a folder...
> inside the folder save the links you want to open in a group.
>
> Now click on the bookmark folder and select open in tabs...
>
> What I did was create groups and save them in my toolbar folder...
>
> works like a charm.
>
> happy surfing.
>
> Mark

That is indeed a very good solution, I personally use an alternate method
since my folders tend to contain hundreds of entries:

Install the Tabbrowser Extensions extension. After you restart the
program, you'll see a menu entry called "Tab". Under it you'll see an
entry called "Load Tab Session", under that is the choice "Save Tab
Session" which makes perfect sense At any rate, I find this method to
be more kind to serindipitous session saving. But if it's only a set few
that you want to open, then the above
copy-to-folder-and-open-folder-in-tabs method is easier.

Do give Tabbrowser Extensions a whirl--it's a tweakers paradise.

Hope this helps.

Mark

maxo wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:56:24 +1000, Mark wrote:
>

>>Jeff Ingram wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox? Say there
>>>were several sites that I always open and I'd like to open them at the same
>>>time as a group. Is there an extension available that will let me do this?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

>>Use the bookmarks manager and create a folder...
>>inside the folder save the links you want to open in a group.
>>
>>Now click on the bookmark folder and select open in tabs...
>>
>>What I did was create groups and save them in my toolbar folder...
>>
>>works like a charm.
>>
>>happy surfing.
>>
>>Mark

> That is indeed a very good solution, I personally use an alternate method
> since my folders tend to contain hundreds of entries:
>
> Install the Tabbrowser Extensions extension. After you restart the
> program, you'll see a menu entry called "Tab". Under it you'll see an
> entry called "Load Tab Session", under that is the choice "Save Tab
> Session" which makes perfect sense At any rate, I find this method to
> be more kind to serindipitous session saving. But if it's only a set few
> that you want to open, then the above
> copy-to-folder-and-open-folder-in-tabs method is easier.
>
> Do give Tabbrowser Extensions a whirl--it's a tweakers paradise.
>
> Hope this helps.

The only thing with Tabbrowser exten is that its not updated yet for 0.9.

Otherwise its a really good idea...

thats why I came up with the other way using bookmarks...

cheers

Hopefully session saver will be updated along with Tabbrowser

maxo

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:34:36 +1000, Mark wrote:

> The only thing with Tabbrowser exten is that its not updated yet for 0.9.

I should have mentioned that, oops...

I tried 0.9 on my Fedora box and it just committed suicide left and
right--I didn't realize that the TabbE. weren't updated, so not only did I
have to delete my ~.mozilla/firefox profile--it wouldn't start even
then!--I had to start firefox with my guest account, then copy the
resulting profile to my account. Then I tried to install another extension
and it happened again (I believe this was an approved 0.9 extension, but
probably not suitable for linux (you'd think they'd mention that)).
The mozilla-remote was broken for the short time it was alive.Well, after
a couple hours of wrangling I came up with a great idea--I reinstalled
8.3 and got on with life. Can't wait till 1.0 if that means this extension
mess will be somewhat sorted...

Mark

maxo wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:56:24 +1000, Mark wrote:
>

>>Jeff Ingram wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Is there an extension that will save a group of tabs in Firefox? Say there
>>>were several sites that I always open and I'd like to open them at the same
>>>time as a group. Is there an extension available that will let me do this?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

>>Use the bookmarks manager and create a folder...
>>inside the folder save the links you want to open in a group.
>>
>>Now click on the bookmark folder and select open in tabs...
>>
>>What I did was create groups and save them in my toolbar folder...
>>
>>works like a charm.
>>
>>happy surfing.
>>
>>Mark

> That is indeed a very good solution, I personally use an alternate method
> since my folders tend to contain hundreds of entries:
>
> Install the Tabbrowser Extensions extension. After you restart the
> program, you'll see a menu entry called "Tab". Under it you'll see an
> entry called "Load Tab Session", under that is the choice "Save Tab
> Session" which makes perfect sense At any rate, I find this method to
> be more kind to serindipitous session saving. But if it's only a set few
> that you want to open, then the above
> copy-to-folder-and-open-folder-in-tabs method is easier.
>
> Do give Tabbrowser Extensions a whirl--it's a tweakers paradise.
>
> Hope this helps.

The only thing is tabbrowser ext isn't yet developed for 0.9 firefox.

So thats why I did what I did...

otherwise I would agree.

Hopefully both session saver and tabbrowser ext will be updated shortly.

Cheers

Mark

Jeff Ingram

Thanks! Works like a charm!