Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > add/remove space after periods...

Reply
Thread Tools

add/remove space after periods...

 
 
Joseph
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-18-2004
I have a textBox that people writes stories in it. They can use [bbcode]
[/bbcode] for format.

I have Aspell installed on the server, so people can make correction to
their text. Sometimes, they forget to add a space after a period. So Aspell
reads the last word of a sentence and the first word of the next sentence as
a single world, which gives an error, word not found.

Before sending the text to Aspell, i add a space after all the periods with:

string = string.replace(/./g, ". ");

I did this for the coma, and it's working, no problem.

But i dont want to add a space after periods in certain [bbcode] [/bbcode].
Because the links will not work.

[link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]


I dont know how to do it, but after i added a space to all periods, i could
search for "http" and remove all the space after the periods till the next
"[".

Or the space could only be added when the period is not between
[link][/link] and [img][/img]

Could someone help me on this one, thanks,

André Couturier
www.tromal.net


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-18-2004
Joseph wrote:
> I have a textBox that people writes stories in it. They can use

[bbcode]
> [/bbcode] for format.
>
> I have Aspell installed on the server, so people can make correction

to
> their text. Sometimes, they forget to add a space after a period. So

Aspell
> reads the last word of a sentence and the first word of the next

sentence as
> a single world, which gives an error, word not found.
>
> Before sending the text to Aspell, i add a space after all the

periods with:
>
> string = string.replace(/./g, ". ");
>
> I did this for the coma, and it's working, no problem.
>
> But i dont want to add a space after periods in certain [bbcode]

[/bbcode].
> Because the links will not work.
>
> [link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]
>
>
> I dont know how to do it, but after i added a space to all periods, i

could
> search for "http" and remove all the space after the periods till the

next
> "[".
>
> Or the space could only be added when the period is not between
> [link][/link] and [img][/img]
>
> Could someone help me on this one, thanks,
>
> André Couturier
> www.tromal.net



Not really enough time to test this, but...

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>untitled</title>
</head>
<body>
<pre>
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

String.prototype.couturierFix = function()
{
var fixer = /([.,])/g;
var refixer = /\. (?=[^\[]*\[\/(link|img)\])/gi;
return this.replace(fixer, '$1 ').replace(refixer, '.');
}

var s = [

'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,consectetur adipisicing elit,' ,
'sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.' ,
'Ut enim ad minim veniam,quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris ' ,
'nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.Duis aute irure dolor in ' ,
'reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat ' ,
'nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident,' ,
'sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.' ,
'[link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]' ,
''

];

s = s.join('\n');
document.write(s.couturierFix());

//]]>
</script>
</pre>
</body>
</html>

[could write it as stand-alone routine too]

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-18-2004
Typo: change to

var fixer = /([.,])[\S]/g;

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
RobB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
Joseph wrote:
> I have a textBox that people writes stories in it. They can use

[bbcode]
> [/bbcode] for format.
>
> I have Aspell installed on the server, so people can make correction

to
> their text. Sometimes, they forget to add a space after a period. So

Aspell
> reads the last word of a sentence and the first word of the next

sentence as
> a single world, which gives an error, word not found.
>
> Before sending the text to Aspell, i add a space after all the

periods with:
>
> string = string.replace(/./g, ". ");
>
> I did this for the coma, and it's working, no problem.
>
> But i dont want to add a space after periods in certain [bbcode]

[/bbcode].
> Because the links will not work.
>
> [link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]
>
>
> I dont know how to do it, but after i added a space to all periods, i

could
> search for "http" and remove all the space after the periods till the

next
> "[".
>
> Or the space could only be added when the period is not between
> [link][/link] and [img][/img]
>
> Could someone help me on this one, thanks,
>
> André Couturier
> www.tromal.net


This just in....

String.prototype.couturierFix = function()
{
var fixer = /([.,])([\S])/g;
var refixer = /\. (?=[^\[]*\[\/(link|img)\])/gi;
return this.replace(fixer, '$1 $2').replace(refixer, '.');
}

Use like any other string method:
textBoxRef.value = textBoxRef.value.couturierFix();

 
Reply With Quote
 
RobB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
Joseph wrote:
> I have a textBox that people writes stories in it. They can use

[bbcode]
> [/bbcode] for format.
>
> I have Aspell installed on the server, so people can make correction

to
> their text. Sometimes, they forget to add a space after a period. So

Aspell
> reads the last word of a sentence and the first word of the next

sentence as
> a single world, which gives an error, word not found.
>
> Before sending the text to Aspell, i add a space after all the

periods with:
>
> string = string.replace(/./g, ". ");
>
> I did this for the coma, and it's working, no problem.
>
> But i dont want to add a space after periods in certain [bbcode]

[/bbcode].
> Because the links will not work.
>
> [link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]
>
>
> I dont know how to do it, but after i added a space to all periods, i

could
> search for "http" and remove all the space after the periods till the

next
> "[".
>
> Or the space could only be added when the period is not between
> [link][/link] and [img][/img]
>
> Could someone help me on this one, thanks,
>
> André Couturier
> www.tromal.net


<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>untitled</title>
</head>
<body style="width:578px;margin:100px auto;font:9pt
verdana;text-align:justify;background:#eef;">
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

String.prototype.couturierFix = function()
{
return this.replace(/([.,])([\S])/g, '$1 $2').
replace(/\. (?=[^[]*\[\/(link|img)\])/gi, '.');
}

var s = [

'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,consectetur adipisicing elit,' ,
'sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.' ,
'Ut enim ad minim veniam,quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris ' ,
'nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.Duis aute irure dolor in ' ,
'reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat ' ,
'nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident,' ,
'sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.' ,
'<br /><br />[link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]' ,
'<br /><br /><br />'

];

document.write(

'|before|' ,
'<br /><br />' ,
(s = s.join('')) ,
'<hr /><br />' ,
'|after|<br /><br />' ,
s.couturierFix()

);

//]]>
</script>
</body>
</html>

Think that helps. Use like any other string method:
textBoxRef.value = textBoxRef.value.couturierFix();

 
Reply With Quote
 
RobB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
Joseph wrote:
> I have a textBox that people writes stories in it. They can use

[bbcode]
> [/bbcode] for format.
>
> I have Aspell installed on the server, so people can make correction

to
> their text. Sometimes, they forget to add a space after a period. So

Aspell
> reads the last word of a sentence and the first word of the next

sentence as
> a single world, which gives an error, word not found.
>
> Before sending the text to Aspell, i add a space after all the

periods with:
>
> string = string.replace(/./g, ". ");
>
> I did this for the coma, and it's working, no problem.
>
> But i dont want to add a space after periods in certain [bbcode]

[/bbcode].
> Because the links will not work.
>
> [link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]
>
>
> I dont know how to do it, but after i added a space to all periods, i

could
> search for "http" and remove all the space after the periods till the

next
> "[".
>
> Or the space could only be added when the period is not between
> [link][/link] and [img][/img]
>
> Could someone help me on this one, thanks,
>
> André Couturier
> www.tromal.net


<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>untitled</title>
</head>
<body style="width:578px;margin:100px auto;font:9pt
verdana;text-align:justify;background:#eef;">
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

String.prototype.couturierFix = function()
{
return this.replace(/([.,])([\S])/g, '$1 $2').
replace(/\. (?=[^[]*\[\/(link|img)\])/gi, '.');
}

var s = [

'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,consectetur adipisicing elit,' ,
'sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.' ,
'Ut enim ad minim veniam,quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris ' ,
'nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.Duis aute irure dolor in ' ,
'reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat ' ,
'nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident,' ,
'sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.' ,
'<br /><br />[link]http://www.tromal.net/index3.php[/link]' ,
'<br /><br /><br />'

];

document.write(

'|before|' ,
'<br /><br />' ,
(s = s.join('')) ,
'<hr /><br />' ,
'|after|<br /><br />' ,
s.couturierFix()

);

//]]>
</script>
</body>
</html>

Think that helps. Use like any other string method:
textBoxRef.value = textBoxRef.value.couturierFix();

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr John Stockton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
JRS: In article <AN1xd.71407$(E-Mail Removed)>, dated
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:05:00, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Joseph
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted :

>I have a textBox that people writes stories in it. They can use [bbcode]
>[/bbcode] for format.
>
>I have Aspell installed on the server, so people can make correction to
>their text. Sometimes, they forget to add a space after a period. So Aspell
>reads the last word of a sentence and the first word of the next sentence as
>a single world, which gives an error, word not found.
>
>Before sending the text to Aspell, i add a space after all the periods with:
>
>string = string.replace(/./g, ". ");
>
>I did this for the coma, and it's working, no problem.
>
>But i dont want to add a space after periods in certain [bbcode] [/bbcode].



There are many other cases where a space should not be added.

There are 3,5 miles to go;
there is .5 mile to go;
this is news:comp.lang.javascript;
in Ascii, one must write "..." for an ellipsis;
etc., etc.

Space correcting is not programmable, except possibly by experts in
computing and language. Make the writers get it right, or use a human
editor.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
 
Reply With Quote
 
RobB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
Dr John Stockton wrote:

(snip)

> Space correcting is not programmable, except possibly by experts in
> computing and language. Make the writers get it right, or use a

human
> editor.


Doubtless so, but imperious nonetheless. Let them eat spaces.
Work-in-progress, maybe useful to the OP:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>shoot me</title>
<style type="text/css">

body {
font: normal 100% arial, sans-serif;
background: #900;
}
#p1, #p2, #p3, #p4, #p5, #p6 {
width: 340px;
font: normal 70% arial, sans-serif;
padding: 8px;
margin: 0 auto;
border: 1px #fff dashed;
background: #faf0e0;
}
button {
display: block;
width: 100px;
margin: 8px auto;
}

</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

String.prototype.couturierFix = function()
{
return this.replace(/(\D[.!?])(?=[^ .a-z\d])/g, '$1 ').
replace(/,(?=[\S])/g, ', ').
replace(/\. (?=[^[]*\[\/(link|img)\])/gi, '.');
}

function fixit()
{
var p, i = 1, fixed;
while (p = document.getElementById('p' + i++))
{
fixed = p.firstChild.nodeValue.couturierFix();
p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(fixed), p.firstChild);
}
return false;
}

//]]>
</script>
</head>
<body>
<p id="p1">&nbsp;
When a girl leaves her home at eighteen,she does one of two
things.Either she falls into saving hands and becomes better, or she
rapidly assumes the cosmopolitan standard of virtue and becomes worse.
Of an intermediate balance, under the circumstances, there is no
possibility.The city has its cunning wiles,no less than the infinitely
smaller and more human tempter. There are large forces which allure
with all the soulfulness of expression possible in the most cultured
human. The gleam of a thousand lights is often as effective as the
persuasive light in a wooing and fascinating eye. Half the undoing of
the unsophisticated and natural mind is accomplished by forces wholly
superhuman. A blare of sound, a roar of life, a vast array of human
hives,appeal to the astonished senses in equivocal terms. Without a
counsellor at hand to whisper cautious interpretations,what falsehoods
may not these things breathe into the unguarded ear!Unrecognised for
what they are, their beauty, like music, too often relaxes,then
weakens,then perverts the simpler human perceptions.
</p>
<p id="p2">
Link test:
</p>
<p id="p3">
Image test:
</p>
<p id="p4">
Question mark test: fixes question marks?Hopefully...
</p>
<p id="p5">
Exclamation point test: Exclamation points!Yes/no?Maybe?
</p>
<p id="p6">
Decimal / ellipsis test: there is .5 mile to go...correct?
</p>
<button onclick="return fixit()">fix it</button>
<button onclick="location.reload()">restore</button>
</body>
</html>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2004

"RobB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dr John Stockton wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > Space correcting is not programmable, except possibly by experts in
> > computing and language. Make the writers get it right, or use a

> human
> > editor.

>
> Doubtless so, but imperious nonetheless. Let them eat spaces.
> Work-in-progress, maybe useful to the OP:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
> <html>
> <head>
> <title>shoot me</title>
> <style type="text/css">
>
> body {
> font: normal 100% arial, sans-serif;
> background: #900;
> }
> #p1, #p2, #p3, #p4, #p5, #p6 {
> width: 340px;
> font: normal 70% arial, sans-serif;
> padding: 8px;
> margin: 0 auto;
> border: 1px #fff dashed;
> background: #faf0e0;
> }
> button {
> display: block;
> width: 100px;
> margin: 8px auto;
> }
>
> </style>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> //<![CDATA[
>
> String.prototype.couturierFix = function()
> {
> return this.replace(/(\D[.!?])(?=[^ .a-z\d])/g, '$1 ').
> replace(/,(?=[\S])/g, ', ').
> replace(/\. (?=[^[]*\[\/(link|img)\])/gi, '.');
> }
>
> function fixit()
> {
> var p, i = 1, fixed;
> while (p = document.getElementById('p' + i++))
> {
> fixed = p.firstChild.nodeValue.couturierFix();
> p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(fixed), p.firstChild);
> }
> return false;
> }
>
> //]]>
> </script>
> </head>
> <body>
> <p id="p1">&nbsp;
> When a girl leaves her home at eighteen,she does one of two
> things.Either she falls into saving hands and becomes better, or she
> rapidly assumes the cosmopolitan standard of virtue and becomes worse.
> Of an intermediate balance, under the circumstances, there is no
> possibility.The city has its cunning wiles,no less than the infinitely
> smaller and more human tempter. There are large forces which allure
> with all the soulfulness of expression possible in the most cultured
> human. The gleam of a thousand lights is often as effective as the
> persuasive light in a wooing and fascinating eye. Half the undoing of
> the unsophisticated and natural mind is accomplished by forces wholly
> superhuman. A blare of sound, a roar of life, a vast array of human
> hives,appeal to the astonished senses in equivocal terms. Without a
> counsellor at hand to whisper cautious interpretations,what falsehoods
> may not these things breathe into the unguarded ear!Unrecognised for
> what they are, their beauty, like music, too often relaxes,then
> weakens,then perverts the simpler human perceptions.
> </p>
> <p id="p2">
> Link test:
> </p>
> <p id="p3">
> Image test:
> </p>
> <p id="p4">
> Question mark test: fixes question marks?Hopefully...
> </p>
> <p id="p5">
> Exclamation point test: Exclamation points!Yes/no?Maybe?
> </p>
> <p id="p6">
> Decimal / ellipsis test: there is .5 mile to go...correct?
> </p>
> <button onclick="return fixit()">fix it</button>
> <button onclick="location.reload()">restore</button>
> </body>
> </html>
>


====================
Your hot! Thank-you very much for the script. I dont understand it, but it
works great ! )

Here is the script that i use for formating and preventing abuse when people
writes stories:


string = document.formname.story.value;

// check for banned words
var bannedWordArray = new Array(" pa ", " ki ", " ds "," ke "," g "," tro
"," fo "," kan "," tou "," lè "," tjrs "," koi "," kelke "," pe "," ya ","
dla "," po "," ns "," ù "," jvous "," keske ", " pr ", " moa ", " pk ", " mé
", " mem ", " ossi ");
var bannedWordCount = 26;
for (i = 0; i <= bannedWordCount; i++) {
var bannedWordDetected = string.indexOf(bannedWordArray[i]);
if (bannedWordDetected != -1) { var messageError = 'banned words
detected';}
}

// remove repeating characters
string = stripToLong(string);

// format text for periods and commas
string = string.couturierFix();

// remove double space
string = string.replace(/ /g, " ");

// remove space before commas
string = string.replace(/ ,/g, ",");
// end


// -------------- functions

// format text for period, comma
String.prototype.couturierFix = function() {
return this.replace(/(\D[.!?])(?=[^ .a-z\d])/g, '$1 ').
replace(/,(?=[\S])/g, ', ').
replace(/ \.(?=[\S])/g, '.').
replace(/\. (?=[^[]*\[\/(lien|image)\])/gi, '.');
}


// limit repeating characters
function stripToLong(string) {
var accumulator = new Array();
var current = "";
var count = 0;
for (i = 0;i < string.length; i++) {
var c = string.charAt(i);
if (c == current) {
count++;
} else {
count = 1;
current = c;
}
if (count <= 4) {
accumulator[i] = c;
}
}
return accumulator.join("");
}

-----------------

Thanks again,
André Couturier
www.tromal.net





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting "not enough disk space error" when there is plenty of disk space Jas Shultz ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 05:07 PM
Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of 8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok?? Christian Seberino Python 21 10-27-2003 04:20 PM
Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok?? Ian Bicking Python 2 10-24-2003 11:15 AM
Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok?? Ian Bicking Python 2 10-23-2003 07:07 AM
Stack space, global space, heap space Shuo Xiang C Programming 10 07-11-2003 07:30 PM



Advertisments