Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Links open with bookmarks window displayed

Links open with bookmarks window displayed

Dan

I use Firefox 0.8. For some reason, it has recently begun opening
links in a separate window (fine) but with the bookmarks pane on the
left open was well. I would prefer it just open a new window w/o the
bookmarks. Looked in options but I see nothing which would change
this. Again, it seems to have just started doing this. Any fix?

TIA

Dan

Quivis

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, prograde49
@hotmail.com says...

> I use Firefox 0.8. For some reason, it has recently begun opening
> links in a separate window (fine) but with the bookmarks pane on the
> left open was well. I would prefer it just open a new window w/o the
> bookmarks. Looked in options but I see nothing which would change
> this. Again, it seems to have just started doing this. Any fix?

For what it's worth, Firefox cannot begin doing this just out of the
blue. Something must have changed in your setup.

There are a few options:

1) Remove all traces of Firefox, as well as your complete profiles
directory, and start over. Back up bookmarks.html from your profile, and
other stuff you need first. Plug-ins can be replaced, no need to back
those up, unless you want to. They usually come in *.jar files.

2) Rename your profiles directory and try again. If Firefox is smart
enough, it will see that there is no profile present so I will create a
new one for you. Then move your bookmarks.html and stuff to the new
location and go about your business. If it isn't [smart enough], it will
just complain and stop.

3) Rename Firefox' home directory and install a new version in a new
directory. If you have used the installation program to install 0.9, you
have to use Control Panel to remove this version.

Your profile location (I assume you use Windows, your headers don't say
since you use google to post [1] ), if you have a recent Windows
version, is usually located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Application Data\Phoenix

I'v never heard of this kind of problem, so I'm sorry I cannot be of
more help.

Anybody else...?

HTH

Q.
--
[1] Footnote: If you ask for help again, please state your setup. I.e.
platform, etc. Makes life a little easier for those who have to guess