Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > cannot find source of error

cannot find source of error

Middletree

This is an ASP-built Intranet app, so I have saved off a static
version of the page for reference, and it is located at
http://www.middletree.net/err.htm and the page to compare it to is
http://www.middletree.net/noerr.htm

If you go to the first page, in my case using IE 6/WinXP, you'll see
that it shows a js error. More important than just the error is that
the menu is gone. On the 2nd page, the error doesn't exist.

That second page only differs, code-wise in one small snippet of ASP
code which falls an IF/ELSE ASP condition. Here's the code which
builds the page with the error (which falls under the ELSE half):

Else
'if no history items
if strNoRecords = "1" then
Else
Response.Write "<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=1
width=620 bgcolor="&bgcolor2&">"
Response.Write "<tr><td colspan=3 align=center><span
class=cellnumber>No work history items have been added for this
End if
End if

-----------------------------------

Can anyone see what I am missing?

Michael Winter

On 24 Nov 2004 13:10:39 -0800, Middletree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> Can anyone see what I am missing?

The "error" page doesn't contain an element with the id, WorkHistory,
which you try to access when the page loads in order to hide the DIV
elements it contains.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Lee

Middletree said:

>This is an ASP-built Intranet app, so I have saved off a static
>version of the page for reference, and it is located at
>http://www.middletree.net/err.htm and the page to compare it to is
>http://www.middletree.net/noerr.htm
>
>If you go to the first page, in my case using IE 6/WinXP, you'll see
>that it shows a js error. More important than just the error is that
>the menu is gone. On the 2nd page, the error doesn't exist.
>
>That second page only differs, code-wise in one small snippet of ASP
>code which falls an IF/ELSE ASP condition. Here's the code which
>builds the page with the error (which falls under the ELSE half):
>

>Else
> 'if no history items
> if strNoRecords = "1" then
> Else
> Response.Write "<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=1
>width=620 bgcolor="&bgcolor2&">"
> Response.Write "<tr><td colspan=3 align=center><span
>class=cellnumber>No work history items have been added for this
> End if
>End if

>Can anyone see what I am missing?

If there is no work history, in addition to writing that message, you
need to avoid writing the onload handler that tries to hide the work history.