Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > dhtml/programming languages

dhtml/programming languages

Laura Williams

I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
dhtml encompass?

rf

Laura Williams

> I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
> alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
> experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
> dhtml encompass?

dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to manipulate
the HTML elements through the DOM.

--
Cheers
Richard.

RobG

rf wrote:
[...]
> dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to manipulate
> the HTML elements through the DOM.

It encompasses CSS as well, there is a good starter tutorial here:

<URL:http://www.w3schools.com/dhtml/default.asp>

w3schools are not authoritative and a bit Microsoft centric, but OK to
get started with and a handy reference.

Mind the pop-unders!!

Rob.

Evertjan.

rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:
> dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to
> manipulate the HTML elements through the DOM.

... or any other clientside scripting language understood by the browser,
like VBscript in the IE.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

rf

Evertjan wrote:
> rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:

> > dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to
> > manipulate the HTML elements through the DOM.

> .. or any other clientside scripting language understood by the browser,
> like VBscript in the IE.

True but VBscript is hardly a web viable solution

--
Cheers
Richard.

Evertjan.

rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:
> Evertjan wrote:
>> rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> > dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to
>> > manipulate the HTML elements through the DOM.

>> .. or any other clientside scripting language understood by the browser,
>> like VBscript in the IE.

> True but VBscript is hardly a web viable solution

I understand that, like the .

In "It means using javascript" however "javascript" is beside the point.
I would say "It means using clientside scripting".

Not all browser work is for the general web.
Some pages, where I manage my own online databases, are just for my own or
my clients's webmaster's use, and I whidely use DOM there. Restricting
these to IE6 use simplifies coding and I could use VBS there.

But I like javascript coding both clientside and serverside [ASP].

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...
> I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
> alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
> experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
> dhtml encompass?

DHTML is a generic term and not everyone agrees on what the meaning really
is. It's an umbrella term for client-side scripting.
A bunch of stuff fits in there, as long as it runs client-side. ActiveX,
javascript, java applets, vbscript...
Most popular is javascript, since it works in the most browsers.

Note that "javascript" is one word, not 2. Small difference, really, but
using two words implies that it is a script written in the Java language,
which is totally *isn't*. Java is completely different from javascript.

~kaeli~
The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher probability
of its success.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Hal Rosser

"Laura Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
> alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
> experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
> dhtml encompass?

According to some text books:
html (or xhtml) + css + javascript are the technologies used for dhtml

---

Grant Wagner

Hal Rosser wrote:

> "Laura Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
> > alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
> > experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
> > dhtml encompass?

> According to some text books:
> html (or xhtml) + css + javascript are the technologies used for dhtml

Since Microsoft coined the term, we should probably ask them what DHTML
means:

<url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...html/dhtml.asp />

"Dynamic HTML (DHTML) is a set of innovative features in Microsoft
Internet Explorer 4.0. By enabling authors to dynamically change the
rendering and content of a document, DHTML gives authors the ability to
create visually outstanding HTML documents that interact with the user,
without the burden of relying on server-side programs or complicated sets
of HTML pages to achieve special effects."

The rest of us would probably refer to this as "client-side scripting of
the user agent DOM (Document Object Model)".

Microsoft came close to this definition here <url:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...s/overview.asp />:
"...Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 exposed client capabilities as
properties through the Dynamic HTML (DHTML) Object Model..."

--
Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)>

Hal Rosser

> > According to some text books:
> > html (or xhtml) + css + javascript are the technologies used for dhtml

> Since Microsoft coined the term, we should probably ask them what DHTML
> means:
>
> <url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...html/dhtml.asp />
>
> "Dynamic HTML (DHTML) is a set of innovative features in Microsoft
> Internet Explorer 4.0. By enabling authors to dynamically change the
> rendering and content of a document, DHTML gives authors the ability to
> create visually outstanding HTML documents that interact with the user,
> without the burden of relying on server-side programs or complicated sets
> of HTML pages to achieve special effects."
>
> The rest of us would probably refer to this as "client-side scripting of
> the user agent DOM (Document Object Model)".

yeah - ( html + javascript + css) - I just used fewer words.

---