Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > how does one blank an entire window?

how does one blank an entire window?

lawrence

The graphic designer I'm working with wants me to get an assortment of
DIVs to be generated and colored randomly. Got that (thanks to all,
especially Michael Winters). Now he wants it to flash fast, so I'm
calling it in setTimeout every 200 miliseconds.

One more question, how do you blank everything in a window? I tried
this:

document.value = '';

No go. How do I blank everything? I want to wipe out everything in
between the 200 milisecond cycles.

rf

lawrence wrote:

> Now he wants it to flash fast, so I'm
> calling it in setTimeout every 200 miliseconds.

What is he doing? Trying to cause every epileptic out there to have
immediate seizures?

--
Cheers
Richard.

Zifud

rf wrote:
> lawrence wrote:
>

>>Now he wants it to flash fast, so I'm
>>calling it in setTimeout every 200 miliseconds.

> What is he doing? Trying to cause every epileptic out there to have
> immediate seizures?

This should be interesting, if somewhat irresponsible...

document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].innerHTML = '';

Zif.

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> The graphic designer I'm working with wants me to get an assortment of
> DIVs to be generated and colored randomly. Got that (thanks to all,
> especially Michael Winters). Now he wants it to flash fast, so I'm
> calling it in setTimeout every 200 miliseconds.
>
> One more question, how do you blank everything in a window? I tried
> this:
>
> document.value = '';
>
> No go.

Why would it?

> How do I blank everything? I want to wipe out everything in
> between the 200 milisecond cycles.

Put it all in a div and hide it.

Can't wait to see the finished article. It's gonna be awesome, dude.

--
Hywel

rf

Zifud wrote:
> rf wrote:
> > lawrence wrote:
> >
> >>Now he wants it to flash fast, so I'm
> >>calling it in setTimeout every 200 miliseconds.

> > What is he doing? Trying to cause every epileptic out there to have
> > immediate seizures?
> >

> This should be interesting, if somewhat irresponsible...
>
> document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].innerHTML = '';

document.location="about:blank";

Gets rid of the nasty flashing in the future too

--
Cheers
Richard.

lawrence

"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message news:<jN9od.44289$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Zifud wrote:
> > rf wrote:

> > > What is he doing? Trying to cause every epileptic out there to have
> > > immediate seizures?
> > >

> document.location="about:blank";
>
> Gets rid of the nasty flashing in the future too

Brilliant. Very clean.

As to the flashing, people do much wilder stuff with Flash, why not
recreate a few of those visual tricks using Javascript?

rf

lawrence wrote:
> "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message

news:<jN9od.44289$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > document.location="about:blank";

> Brilliant. Very clean.

Thank you sir.

> As to the flashing, people do much wilder stuff with Flash

Which is why I do not have flash installed. I use the web for content, not
entertainment. Entertainment comes on my TV
(I may be atypical though).

> why not
> recreate a few of those visual tricks using Javascript?

Go for it.

Expect me to immediately click the back button

--
Cheers
Richard.