Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Best way to send binary

Best way to send binary

Ralph Krausse

We are building a Linux product who's binary (executable) needs to
have the ability to be updated. The embedded system will be behind a
firewall. I was thinking this could be done over XML and base64 encode
the binary. Would this work? Can I .NET web service do this and talk
to Linux?

Thanks
Ralph

Scott Allen

Hi Ralph:

You could always make calls from Linux applications to a .NET Web
Service using SOAP. What language is the Linux app written in? It
seems like there are toolkits available for almost every popular Linux
development environment: C++, Perl, Python, Java, etc.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/

On 6 Oct 2004 04:23:21 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ralph
Krausse) wrote:

>We are building a Linux product who's binary (executable) needs to
>have the ability to be updated. The embedded system will be behind a
>firewall. I was thinking this could be done over XML and base64 encode
>the binary. Would this work? Can I .NET web service do this and talk
>to Linux?
>
>Thanks
>Ralph

Ralph Krausse

SOAP would work, well that is basically XML right?

thanks

Scott Allen <bitmask@[nospam].fred.net> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Hi Ralph:
>
> You could always make calls from Linux applications to a .NET Web
> Service using SOAP. What language is the Linux app written in? It
> seems like there are toolkits available for almost every popular Linux
> development environment: C++, Perl, Python, Java, etc.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/
>
> On 6 Oct 2004 04:23:21 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Ralph
> Krausse) wrote:
>
> >We are building a Linux product who's binary (executable) needs to
> >have the ability to be updated. The embedded system will be behind a
> >firewall. I was thinking this could be done over XML and base64 encode
> >the binary. Would this work? Can I .NET web service do this and talk
> >to Linux?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Ralph

Scott Allen