Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > timer function

timer function

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dated Tue, 9 Nov
2004 19:20:03, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Darren Showers
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted :
>I'm running a timer function that counts down from set time frames.
>It has an odd tendency to drop 2 seconds at the beginning but then
>work fine the rest of the way. Can anyone suggest what could be
>happening here?

> if (running) {
> timerID = setTimeout("showCountDown()",1000)
> }

That gives a delay of 1000 ms, rounded up to the next clock tick; there
will also be the delay in executing the code that precedes it.

You need to calculate the delay to the next second, or say 10% of the
way through it, as for example

setTimeout("Tock()", 1100-D%1000)

where D = new Date().

Read the c.l.j newsgroup FAQ; see below; see js-date0.htm#TaI .