Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Protection a js file

Protection a js file

Kerberos

Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
site?
I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
more time than coding it (took an afternoon).
Thanks,

--
K.

http://www.osresources.com/

Randy Webb

Kerberos wrote:

> Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
> site?

No.

> I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
> more time than coding it (took an afternoon).

It is trivial to steal a script. IE will, generally, give it to you in
way less time than it took you to write it.

--
Randy

Lee

Kerberos said:

>Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
>site?
>I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
>more time than coding it (took an afternoon).
>Thanks,

You seem to have posted this from an "Open Source" forum. Irony?

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Kerberos says...
> Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
> site?

Yes. Don't link to it and put it in a directory structure that no one
will ever guess.

> I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
> more time than coding it (took an afternoon).

A whole afternoon? Wow! That must be an amazing piece of coding.

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

Kerberos

Em 23 Oct 2004 18:50:23 -0700, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu:

> You seem to have posted this from an "Open Source" forum. Irony?

Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't be
useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult to grab.

--
K.

http://www.osresources.com/

Douglas Crockford

> Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't
> be useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult to
> grab.

That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
how long it takes any of us to grab it?

George Hester

"Douglas Crockford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:17f7a$417bed21$4365de06$(E-Mail Removed) ervers.com...
> > Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't
> > be useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult to
> > grab.

> That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
> how long it takes any of us to grab it?

I'd sure like to take a stab at it. Never know we might learn something.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Michael Winter

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:40:04 -0200, Kerberos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't be
> useful anyway, [...]

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but if the script wouldn't be useful to
other people, why try to hide it? Any "protection" you apply will do
nothing but add overheads to the script.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Kerberos

Em Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:26:39 GMT, George Hester <(E-Mail Removed)>
escreveu:

> "Douglas Crockford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:17f7a$417bed21$4365de06$(E-Mail Removed) ervers.com...
>> > Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't
>> > be useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult

>> > grab.

>> That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
>> how long it takes any of us to grab it?

> I'd sure like to take a stab at it. Never know we might learn something.

I'm using an encryption system that converts all code into weird
characters.
http://www.encrypt-html.com/encrypt_javascript.htm
Ok, you guys can reverse-engeneer it, but still, small players will just
give up.

--
K.

http://www.osresources.com/

Lee

Kerberos said:

>Em Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:26:39 GMT, George Hester <(E-Mail Removed)>
>escreveu:
>
>> "Douglas Crockford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:17f7a$417bed21$4365de06$(E-Mail Removed) ervers.com...
>>>
>>> That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
>>> how long it takes any of us to grab it?

>> I'd sure like to take a stab at it. Never know we might learn something.
>>

>I'm using an encryption system that converts all code into weird
>characters.

But that means that you've also got to be sending a function that
decrypts it. That's leaving the key in the lock. All we have to
do is turn it.