Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Recommend any javascript training in London?

Recommend any javascript training in London?

junior

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any excellent intoduction course to Javascript?
In London would be ideal. I've looked at various places but don't
really know if i'm looking at the right stuff and if its stuff i need
to know (too advanced etc)

Duration is a problem, 3 days would be ideal, to cover as much as poss

Your help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
T.

Jim Ley

On 11 Oct 2004 03:40:08 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (junior)
wrote:

>Does anyone know of any excellent intoduction course to Javascript?

No, I've heard of lots of really crap introduction courses to
javascript in London. Is this something you want to take so as to add
the skill to your armoury, or is it something that your employer wants
you to learn? If it's the first, and its your own money, I
definately would say no, don't bother. If it's an employers, it may
be worthwhile on a course, but don't "trust" everything you hear, much
will be bad (javascript is badly taught, badly written about in books
- and in general badly written of course.)

Think hard about what you're taught.

>In London would be ideal. I've looked at various places but don't
>really know if i'm looking at the right stuff and if its stuff i need
>to know (too advanced etc)

Well, what do you need to know?

Cheers,

Jim.

junior

Thanks for the reply Jim.

It's my companys money They are very keen on me learning JS and a
course in LOndon is my goal for the week. I've already looked at one
(http://www.qa.com/course/courseOutli...ecode=LGJAVSC2) but
i wondered if this was the kind of thing i should be doing. I want to
do a course that teaches me the basics but doesn't drag it on for 3
days. By the 3rd day i wouldn't mind learning something slightly
intermediate.

Any ideas?

Don't worry, if its early morning starts, i doubt i'll be listening to
everything they have to say!

Thanks for ur help
T.

(E-Mail Removed) (Jim Ley) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On 11 Oct 2004 03:40:08 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (junior)
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know of any excellent intoduction course to Javascript?

> No, I've heard of lots of really crap introduction courses to
> javascript in London. Is this something you want to take so as to add
> the skill to your armoury, or is it something that your employer wants
> you to learn? If it's the first, and its your own money, I
> definately would say no, don't bother. If it's an employers, it may
> be worthwhile on a course, but don't "trust" everything you hear, much
> will be bad (javascript is badly taught, badly written about in books
> - and in general badly written of course.)
>
> Think hard about what you're taught.
>
> >In London would be ideal. I've looked at various places but don't
> >really know if i'm looking at the right stuff and if its stuff i need
> >to know (too advanced etc)

> Well, what do you need to know?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim.

Jim Ley

On 13 Oct 2004 08:43:03 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (junior)
wrote:
> I've already looked at one
>(http://www.qa.com/course/courseOutli...ecode=LGJAVSC2) but
>i wondered if this was the kind of thing i should be doing.

This is not a course to take, let's look at the course outline:
(we'll ignore the basics, you can't really get that wrong, and should
take moments to teach)

Let's look at the DHTML section: (probably the most important to
someone wanting a course IMO)

This contains useful things like:
| DHTML with Netscape Layer objects
and
| Netscape Event Propagation
(no mention of DOM Events)

The course would appear to be around 5 years out of date. Somewhat
worrying. Maybe I should get into teaching courses, seems like it's
easy to sell crap.

Jim.