Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Window open and anti popup software

Window open and anti popup software

Bob Bedford

From my page, I've to create a page wich shows some images.
I'd like to show those images without the IE or Netscap toolbar.
I've two ways:
1- window.open, wich let me do everything (remove bar, resize)
2- open a new window with _blank, but I can't remove the toolbar.

The problem with the 1 is that maybe it can be blocked by an anti popup
window, isn't it ???
It's there a way in the point 2 to resize the page and remove the toolbar ?

Thanks.

Bob

VK

Any normal pop-up killer kills any kind of windows, including
"target-_blank" ones.

Did you consider to use popping-up div's on the page itself? Just give them
window-LAF (if you want).

David Dorward

Bob Bedford wrote:

> From my page, I've to create a page wich shows some images.
> I'd like to show those images without the IE or Netscap toolbar.

Why? Users are used to them.

> The problem with the 1 is that maybe it can be blocked by an anti popup
> window, isn't it ???

Yes. Opening new windows is (almost always) bad design. Users dislike them.

> It's there a way in the point 2 to resize the page and remove the toolbar?

No (Well... you might be able to resize the _window_ ... but most browsers
have explicit options in the preferences to prevent this - its more
annoying then a popup).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Randy Webb

VK wrote:
> Any normal pop-up killer kills any kind of windows, including
> "target-_blank" ones.

Can you name a few that kill target="_blank"? I am aware of many that
handle window.open but haven't been able to find one that handles _blank.

--
Randy

rf

Randy Webb wrote
> VK wrote:
> > Any normal pop-up killer kills any kind of windows, including
> > "target-_blank" ones.

> Can you name a few that kill target="_blank"? I am aware of many that
> handle window.open but haven't been able to find one that handles _blank.

popup-stopper from panicware. Stops everything, even a double click on the
browsers desktop icon.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Bob Bedford

> > From my page, I've to create a page wich shows some images.
> > I'd like to show those images without the IE or Netscap toolbar.

> Why? Users are used to them.

Because it's a page that I'd like to open as popup, with images on it, but
the user shouldn't continue to browse from there, but only close it. It's
like an information page, no need to keep it after viewing.

> > The problem with the 1 is that maybe it can be blocked by an anti popup
> > window, isn't it ???

> Yes. Opening new windows is (almost always) bad design. Users dislike

them.

Have a look here. www.shopauto.ch, then click "rechercher" and then any
vehicle in the list. On the right you have the picture image, wich, when
clicked, shows a popup with other image I can't put on the page. It's only a
"more info" page.

> > It's there a way in the point 2 to resize the page and remove the

toolbar?

> No (Well... you might be able to resize the _window_ ... but most browsers
> have explicit options in the preferences to prevent this - its more
> annoying then a popup).

I've opted for the ".open" page, wich will be sized and setted like I want.

Cheers and thanks for advice.

Bob