Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > javascript to disable the title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window

javascript to disable the title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window

Matt

I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
working. any ideas??

window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

<title>hey</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function changetitle()
{
alert(window.document.title);
window.document.title = "heyhey";
window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
alert(window.document.title);
}
</script>

Randy Webb

Matt wrote:
> I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
> window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
> working. any ideas??

Yes. Stop trying to hide something JS has no control over (unless it
opens a new window).

--
Randy

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt wrote:

> I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
> window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
> working. any ideas??
>
> window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
> window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
> window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
"addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
recent Mozilla/5.0, too.

PointedEars
--
Come on down to the store, you can buy some more and more and more and more
(Sonic Youth)

Matt

> Yes. Stop trying to hide something JS has no control over (unless it
> opens a new window).

so do you know some workarounds to my problem? thanks

Lee

Matt said:

>> Yes. Stop trying to hide something JS has no control over (unless it
>> opens a new window).

>so do you know some workarounds to my problem? thanks

You haven't told us what the problem is.
You've asked how to do some things that you shouldn't be trying to do.
What problem are you trying to solve?

George Hester

"Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt wrote:
>
> > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
> > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
> > working. any ideas??
> >
> > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
> > window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
> > window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

> Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
> in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
> the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
> "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
> request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
> recent Mozilla/5.0, too.
>

> PointedEars
> --
> Come on down to the store, you can buy some more and more and more and more
> (Sonic Youth)

It's always a pleasure to read a response which answers the question. Even if
it is not exhaustive. It's much better then, "don't."

GH

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

George Hester wrote:

> "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Please do not write so-called "attribution novels". The name of the
precursor's author is sufficient to follow the discussion. The e-mail
address in the From header is often of little use as it is used as a
spam(mer) trap (could be a tarpit and the like; as opposed to one in
the Reply-To header). The message ID of the precursor is contained in
the References header of the followup. Two or more lines interfere
with flow of reading, especially with several quotation levels.

>> Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
>> in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
>> the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
>> "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
>> request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
>> recent Mozilla/5.0, too.
>> [...]

> It's always a pleasure to read a response which answers the question.
> Even if it is not exhaustive. It's much better then, "don't."

Actually, if you read it thoroughly, it *was* a "don't"

PointedEars

P.S.: Please trim your quotes (to the parts you are referring to).
--
"95% of success is showing up."
-- Mark Twain

Matt

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Matt wrote:
>
> > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
> > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
> > working. any ideas??
> >
> > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
> > window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
> > window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

> Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
> in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
> the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
> "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
> request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
> recent Mozilla/5.0, too.

Unfortunately, I only want to make it work in IE, not Netscape. I
tried the following but it didn't work in IE.

window.statusbar.visible = false;

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

Please do not write attribution novels.

>> Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. [...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
> Unfortunately, I only want to make it work in IE, not Netscape. I
> tried the following but it didn't work in IE.
>
> window.statusbar.visible = false;

Since you appear to have problems with reading, I have marked what is
important here.

PointedEars
--
Go play leapfrog with a herd of unicorns!

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...
> > Matt wrote:
> >
> > > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
> > > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
> > > working. any ideas??
> > >

> Unfortunately, I only want to make it work in IE, not Netscape. I
> tried the following but it didn't work in IE.

If this is for an intranet application, CD app, or something else you know
your users for, use an HTA. (html application)
IE / Windows only.
This gives you MUCH more control over the interface. It is not suitable for
internet use, however.

HTH

~kaeli~
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace