Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > LOOK! i just want to know does anyone know...

LOOK! i just want to know does anyone know...

Simon Egginton

Does anyone know how to make a CHAT ROOM for a webpage using java or jave
script please. I am just look at you lot because i think you are the
experts!

THANK YOU!

ewhost_simon"HI"@yahoo.co.uk
remove "HI"

David Dorward

Simon Egginton wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make a CHAT ROOM for a webpage using java or jave
> script please.

You can't do this using JavaScript, at least not *just* JavaScript. You
might be able to produce something with the client facing parts in JS, but
the implemention would depend rather heavily on the other parts. It would
probably involve xmlhttp (which is not well supported among browsers)
polling the server at frequent intervals (which isn't exactly efficient).

You could write the server component of this in Java, and you could also
write the client side of this in Java. The specifics of that are off topic
for this newsgroup.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Simon Egginton wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make a CHAT ROOM for a webpage using java or
> jave script please.

Java is off-topic here (hopefully you have not multi-posted to the
Java groups). A chat room relying on client-side JavaScript is
unreliable. Besides, if you desire reasonable answers (not that
this is none) you should use the Subject to give a short summary
of the content of your posting.

> I am just look at you lot because i think you are the experts!

This is not a support forum. If you have problems with your code, show
relevant snippets and some people (including me) will be happy to help.
But do not expect complete solutions for free. (Drop me a mail if you
are willing to pay for it and I'll see what I can do for you.)

> THANK YOU!

Your Shift key is borken.

> ewhost_simon"HI"@yahoo.co.uk
> remove "HI"

Remove that from your postings. Both lines.

BTW: It really does not make sense to have the
Reply-To address identical to the From address.

PointedEars

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <1ouwws4dd6re0.vfa9587ouwr3$(E-Mail Removed)>, dated
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:46:47, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Andrew
Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> posted :

>It is high time Java developers got used to
>thinking of Java as 'just another plug-in'.
>For further ranting, see..
><http://www.physci.org/codes/java/plugin.jsp>

Did you sort out the problem yet? I cannot readily ask you by E-mail.
BTW, there is no real danger IMHO in putting your E-address in News,
provided that it will not be understood robotically.

--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME