Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Trapping for invalid URLs

Trapping for invalid URLs

Craig

Since an html file will not begin an dotnet page request, I would get a 404
error. I guess I didn't understand that the application you inherited was
not a dotnet site.

If you're changing the site from a static html site to a dotnet site, why
not just create a custom 404 page that informs users that the site has
changed and offer a link to a site map or something of the like? Then, have
your site host use your new 404 page for those errors.

Craig

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:26h8d.68651$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> What happens if you change:
>
> > Dim strOldPath As String = "/test.aspx"

> > Dim strOldPath As String = "/test.htm"

Mark Rae

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A0w8d.51689$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Since an html file will not begin an dotnet page request, I would get a
> 404
> error. I guess I didn't understand that the application you inherited was
> not a dotnet site.

OK - my mistake for not making that explicity clear - apologies...

> If you're changing the site from a static html site to a dotnet site, why
> not just create a custom 404 page that informs users that the site has
> changed and offer a link to a site map or something of the like? Then,
> have
> your site host use your new 404 page for those errors.

Because the ISP doesn't allow me to do that...