Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > JOURNALIST NEEDS HELP PLEASE!

JOURNALIST NEEDS HELP PLEASE!

LP

I am doing research for a Canadian magazine.
I am trying to understand, in simple terms, if one can CORRECTLY say
that there
is a relationship between the "invention" of the Java programming
language and the development
of "Javascript."
My story is basically directed to the lay person. In essence, this is
what I am saying:

"Java programming language was invented by James Gosling, of Sun
Microsystems. The language was ideally suited
to use on the Internet because of it's mult-platform capability. Java
eventually contributed to the development of other
web-based programs like Javascript which is not part of webpages
everywhere. Javascript enables, among other things, the use of forms on
webpages and even helps put radio stations online."

DOES this sound OK? Any correction/clarification from anyone would be
dearly appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Larry Pinnel
(PLEASE contact me DIRECTLY at: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed))

Ivan Marsh

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:39:01 +0000, LP wrote:

> "Java programming language was invented by James Gosling, of Sun
> Microsystems. The language was ideally suited to use on the Internet
> because of it's mult-platform capability. Java eventually contributed to
> the development of other web-based programs like Javascript which is not
> part of webpages everywhere. Javascript enables, among other things, the
> use of forms on webpages and even helps put radio stations online."
>
> DOES this sound OK?

Uh... no.

JavaScript is used on the web far more than Java.

JavaScript is an interpreted scripting language designed for the web.

Java is a compiled language that uses a virtual machine and can be used to
do just about anything on almost any platform.

They have very little in common other than the poorly chosen name of
JavaScript.

Try:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/java...s_history.html

Does JOURNALIST == HOMEWORK?

--
i.m.

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>, LP
says...
> I am doing research for a Canadian magazine.
> I am trying to understand, in simple terms, if one can CORRECTLY say
> that there
> is a relationship between the "invention" of the Java programming
> language and the development
> of "Javascript."
> My story is basically directed to the lay person. In essence, this is
> what I am saying:
>
> "Java programming language was invented by James Gosling, of Sun
> Microsystems. The language was ideally suited
> to use on the Internet because of it's mult-platform capability.
> Java
> eventually contributed to the development of other
> web-based programs like Javascript which is not part of webpages

JavaScript isn't really a "program", it's a language. I think you mean
"... which is *now* part of ..."

> everywhere. Javascript enables, among other things, the use of forms on
> webpages

It doesn't enable the use of forms - they were around long before
browser supported JavaScript, and there are still browsers that don't
have a JavaScript engine. It can be used to enhance forms, however.

> and even helps put radio stations online."

How?

http://tinyurl.com/2js9

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

Richard Cornford

LP wrote:
> I am doing research for a Canadian magazine.
> I am trying to understand, in simple terms, if one can CORRECTLY say
> that there
> is a relationship between the "invention" of the Java programming
> language and the development
> of "Javascript."

If you are sufficiently vague about what 'relationship' means.

> My story is basically directed to the lay person. In essence, this is
> what I am saying:

<snip>
> Java
> eventually contributed to the development of other
> web-based programs like Javascript

I believe that the language that eventually became JavaScript
(LiveScript) was developed independently of Java by Netscape. They
really do not have much in common, except a syntax derived from C.

> which is not part of webpages everywhere.

That doesn't make sense (and isn't any more/less true of Java).

> Javascript enables, among other things, the use of forms
> on webpages

Forms are facilitated by HTML alone. They work perfectly happily (and
sometimes better) without javascript.

> and even helps put radio stations online."

Does that mean anything? But the technology needed to broadcast sound
over the Internet does not necessitate the use of javascript anyway.

> DOES this sound OK?

<snip>

No.

Richard.