Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > How can I make an always working mailform with java?

How can I make an always working mailform with java?

JohnK

Hi all,

This is my first time visiting this group. I already tried two other java
groups, but those aren't very populated.
I don't know if it is the right one, otherwise please tell me in which
group I have to put me question.
And yes I know that I'm multiposting, crossposting or whatever. Reason is
that I saw this group (comp.lang.javascript) later.

Well the question is as follows:
I need a simple mailform. I know how to make an html-form, but I don't want
to use
the most easy solution in html with mailto:. Everyone knows that gives you
more spam than you would like...
The form contains some text, three fields to be filled in:
1) name
2) e-mail address (for replies etc) and
3) a text-area for comment and questions
Furthermore a Transmit or Submit button. A Reset or Erase button is welcome,
but not neccessary.

I had a form using CGI-bin from my provider, but it fails somehow, so I
decided to use something different. I tried PHP, but my provider does not
support that. The only thing I can use is Html and Java.
I tried something with Java, but what I have now is not what I want, it
starts user's e-mail program and than fills in the 'to', 'from', 'subject'
and textbody. User still has to click the sent button. BUT, what happens
when user doesn't have a mail program on his machine? Or is using an exotic,
non 'standard', program?

I searched a lot on the web, maybe not on the right places, but all I found
are examples with far more functionality then what I need. I don't want
radiobuttons, checkboxes.

Could any of you help me? With an example or link?

Thanks in advance
John

---

David Dorward

JohnK wrote:

> This is my first time visiting this group. I already tried two other java
> groups, but those aren't very populated.

JavaScript has nothing to do with Java.
http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_2

This doesn't work anyway: http://www.isolani.co.uk/articles/mailto.html

> I had a form using CGI-bin from my provider, but it fails somehow, so I
> decided to use something different.

That is rather vague. I'd suggest you ask your provider for support.

> I tried PHP, but my provider does not
> support that. The only thing I can use is Html and Java.
> I tried something with Java, but what I have now is not what I want, it
> starts user's e-mail program and than fills in the 'to', 'from', 'subject'
> and textbody. User still has to click the sent button. BUT, what happens
> when user doesn't have a mail program on his machine? Or is using an
> exotic, non 'standard', program?

Like Hotmail, GMail or Yahoo! mail? Those are pretty common. I don't think
any email client can be considered "standard".

You need something on the server. Client side JavaScript isn't going to cut
it, nor is client side Java (well, if you can persude the user to download
an applet containing your own SMTP client (probably requiring them to
upgrade their Java Plugin along the way), and outgoing SMTP isn't blocked
from their network[1], and incoming mail from dynamically assigned ip
addresses isn't blocked from your server - then you might be able to do it)

> I searched a lot on the web, maybe not on the right places, but all I
> found are examples with far more functionality then what I need. I don't
> want radiobuttons, checkboxes.

The content of the form is not relevent. The only safe way to get form data
to email is to submit it over http and have a script running on your server
deal with it.

[1] Except for specific, designated mail servers.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

kaeli

In article <40c8a3b3$0$767$(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first time visiting this group. I already tried two other java
> groups, but those aren't very populated.

<snip>

java != javascript.

> Could any of you help me? With an example or link?

Why don't you just use one of the free ones?

Although, if you have a cgi-bin, it's REALLY easy to make one in Perl.
I can't program in Perl very well and I did one. *g*
There's a bunch of free scripts on the web, too.
Even better, if your server has a cgi-bin, they probably support
formmail (perl). Ask them.
If the one you were using failed, it's probably something simple. What
fails? Is there an error given?

Mailing a form requires something on the server if you're to avoid the
nasty mailto. Javascript, generally speaking, runs on the client.

If you really meant that your host supports java servlets, let me know.
If they have javamail or smtp mail, I can make you a quick servlet to
mail a form. I've already got a JSP page that uses smtp mail to do that.

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace