Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Getting DOM element position(style.left and style.top)

Getting DOM element position(style.left and style.top)

Amir Hardon

I'm sorry for the RTFM question, but these keywords are too
common for being usefull with google.

I'm trying to position a dynamically created DOM element
(with style.position=absolute), in a position relative to
another element which don't have an absolute position,
My problem is getting the "absolute" position of that element.

I wrote two function(below) to solve this problem,
but I'm pretty sure there is a more effective solution:

function getoffsetLeft(element){/* Calculate the offsetLeft sum of all
offsetParents.
The result is element.style.left
*/
if(!element) return 0;
return element.offsetLeft + getoffsetLeft(element.offsetParent);
}

function getoffsetTop(element){/* Calculate the offsetTop sum of all
offsetParents.
The result is element.style.top
*/
if(!element) return 0;
return element.offsetTop + getoffsetTop(element.offsetParent);
}