Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")

Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")

T.

Hello,

I'm trying to pull the logon user's name using
Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")...which is returning nothing...so I
need help in determining why it's returning nothing, or I need the format in
which it returns the username so that I can hard code it. Does it return
anything with the username?

Thanks...

Shiva

Hi,
It will be empty if anonymous access is allowed. Deny anonymous
authentication and turn on Basic, Digest or Integrated auth to force
authentication and hence get a value for LOGON_USER server variable.

HTH

"T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OebCjr#(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello,

I'm trying to pull the logon user's name using
Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")...which is returning nothing...so I
need help in determining why it's returning nothing, or I need the format in
which it returns the username so that I can hard code it. Does it return
anything with the username?

Thanks...

T.

Shiva my friend...this is exactly what I did...and no luck.

strLoginID = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
response.write strLoginID

Returns nothing....

"Shiva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uyQYwy#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> It will be empty if anonymous access is allowed. Deny anonymous
> authentication and turn on Basic, Digest or Integrated auth to force
> authentication and hence get a value for LOGON_USER server variable.
>
> HTH
>
> "T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OebCjr#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to pull the logon user's name using
> Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")...which is returning nothing...so I
> need help in determining why it's returning nothing, or I need the format

in
> which it returns the username so that I can hard code it. Does it return
> anything with the username?
>
> Thanks...

Marina

Do you have only windows authentication on, on the virtual directory your
app is in?

"T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O3ccu7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shiva my friend...this is exactly what I did...and no luck.
>
> strLoginID = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
> response.write strLoginID
>
> Returns nothing....
>
> "Shiva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uyQYwy#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > It will be empty if anonymous access is allowed. Deny anonymous
> > authentication and turn on Basic, Digest or Integrated auth to force
> > authentication and hence get a value for LOGON_USER server variable.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > "T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:OebCjr#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to pull the logon user's name using
> > Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")...which is returning nothing...so

> > need help in determining why it's returning nothing, or I need the

format
> in
> > which it returns the username so that I can hard code it. Does it

return
> > anything with the username?
> >
> > Thanks...

T.

That option is selected but not available...so I tried every possible
combinations for those options...also my web.config authenication is set to
"Windows"

"Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e8dtuA$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have only windows authentication on, on the virtual directory your
> app is in?
>
> "T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O3ccu7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Shiva my friend...this is exactly what I did...and no luck.
> >
> > strLoginID = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
> > response.write strLoginID
> >
> > Returns nothing....
> >
> > "Shiva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:uyQYwy#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > > It will be empty if anonymous access is allowed. Deny anonymous
> > > authentication and turn on Basic, Digest or Integrated auth to force
> > > authentication and hence get a value for LOGON_USER server variable.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > "T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:OebCjr#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to pull the logon user's name using
> > > Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")...which is returning

nothing...so
> > > need help in determining why it's returning nothing, or I need the

> format
> > in
> > > which it returns the username so that I can hard code it. Does it

> return
> > > anything with the username?
> > >
> > > Thanks...

William F. Robertson, Jr.

What do you mean the option for integrated authentication is "selected but
not available"?

If you are using NT authentication, dump the logon_user lookup and go with
User.Idenity.Name.

bill

"T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23Wis3F$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That option is selected but not available...so I tried every possible
> combinations for those options...also my web.config authenication is set

> "Windows"
>

> "Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e8dtuA$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Do you have only windows authentication on, on the virtual directory

your
> > app is in?
> >
> > "T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:O3ccu7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Shiva my friend...this is exactly what I did...and no luck.
> > >
> > > strLoginID = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
> > > response.write strLoginID
> > >
> > > Returns nothing....
> > >
> > > "Shiva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:uyQYwy#(E-Mail Removed)...

> nothing...so

> > format
> > > in

> > return

vandtran vandtran is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

In my virtual directory security, whenever I disable the anonymous access and Integrated windows authentication checked, users from my intranet site have to logon with there windows login. Is there a way to bypass the logon?

Thanks,

RiaanBod RiaanBod is offline
Junior Member

Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") displays login info, but it displays the user logged on to the server and not the local user name.