Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Changing contents of 2 frames: Back button trauma in I.E.

Changing contents of 2 frames: Back button trauma in I.E.

Robin Somes

Hi everyone,

Sincere apologies if this has been done to death before.

I have a frameset in 3 columns; 'leftmenu', 'main' and 'rightmenu'. The
content of 'leftmenu' remains the same throughout the site; when I open
a new page in 'main', I want its relevant sub-menu to appear in
'rightmenu'.

function Contents(newPage)
{
parent.rightmenu.document.location.href = newPage + "menu.html"
}

followed by:

onclick="Contents('software')">Software</a>

will achieve this, as will:

function Contents(newPage)
{
parent.main.document.location.href = newPage + ".html";
parent.rightmenu.document.location.href = newPage + "menu.html"
}

and:

(yes, I've read and understood article 4.24 of the FAQ...)

My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
changes simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

MTIA,

Robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk

Stephen Chalmers

"Robin Somes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SMvH3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
> 6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
> step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
> content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
> logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
> changes simultaneously.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> MTIA,
>
> Robin
> --

Try placing some code into your unchanging frame, to check the names of the
documents loaded into the other two. The function could be triggered
periodically or by onload events.

Robin Somes

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Chalmers
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
>> 6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
>> step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
>> content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
>> logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
>> changes simultaneously.
>> --

>Try placing some code into your unchanging frame, to check the names
>of the documents loaded into the other two. The function could be
>triggered
>periodically or by onload events.

Thanks; I see your point - I should have mentioned in my original post
that the left (unchanging) frame is the one containing the links and
script.

cheers,
robin