Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > <browserCaps>

<browserCaps>

Eric

Hi,

Why there is no <browserCaps> section, which is correct?
I understand that Netscape and others are 'DownLevel' browser,
but in my case, also the PocketIE on my Ipaq and
Opera browser for SmartPhone are reconized wrong (IsMobileDevice = false).

From where or how I get the a configuration which works?

Thanks
Eric

John

Hi, Eric

Have you applied the Mobile toolkit updates?

Mobile home page

http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=44

Device Updates: New adapters and browsercaps information

http://www.asp.net/mobile/deviceupdate.aspx?tabindex=6

for 1.0 toolkit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...F21-B8E4-416E-
A28F-B124F41F9768&displaylang=en

Hope this helps,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: <browserCaps>
| Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:15:54 +0200
|
| Hi,
|
| Why there is no <browserCaps> section, which is correct?
| I understand that Netscape and others are 'DownLevel' browser,
| but in my case, also the PocketIE on my Ipaq and
| Opera browser for SmartPhone are reconized wrong (IsMobileDevice = false).
|
| From where or how I get the a configuration which works?
|
| Thanks
| Eric

Eric

Hi John,

Yes, I have installed all the updates.
In my machine.config, I have the following entries:

<browserCaps>
<result type="System.Web.Mobile.MobileCapabilities, System.Web.Mobile,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
<file src="deviceUpdate.config" />
<file src="deviceUpdate3.config" />
<file src="deviceUpdate4.config" />

It must be something different.

Thanks
Eric

""John"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GGt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Eric
>
> Have you applied the Mobile toolkit updates?
>
> Mobile home page
>
> http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=44
>
> Device Updates: New adapters and browsercaps information
>
> http://www.asp.net/mobile/deviceupdate.aspx?tabindex=6
>
> for 1.0 toolkit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...F21-B8E4-416E-
> A28F-B124F41F9768&displaylang=en
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> John Eikanger
> Microsoft Developer Support
>
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no

rights.
> --------------------
> | From: "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: <browserCaps>
> | Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:15:54 +0200
> |
> | Hi,
> |
> | Why there is no <browserCaps> section, which is correct?
> | I understand that Netscape and others are 'DownLevel' browser,
> | but in my case, also the PocketIE on my Ipaq and
> | Opera browser for SmartPhone are reconized wrong (IsMobileDevice =

false).

> | From where or how I get the a configuration which works?
> |
> | Thanks
> | Eric

John

Hi, Eric

This should get you a config that works:

http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/default.aspx

This tool can take the client browser through a series of steps to add
support for new browsers.
Regardless of whether the correct user agent is already in machine.config
or not, this tool can get the correct info and can be added to the
machine.config or web.config.

Hope this helps,

John Eikanger
MSDN Communities Team
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: <browserCaps>
| Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:01:07 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi John,
|
| Here are 2 GIFS with the browsers which are not reconized.
| Eric

Eric

Thanks for the link. It seems to be a really helpful tool.

But my concern is more, that common used devices are not reconized.

An Ipaq 5550 or Sony Ericsson P900 (and Opera for Symbian) are widley used
devices.

If I need to write myself every configuration, it doesn't make sense to me.

Eric

John

Hi, Eric

I understand your concern, but the mobile market is constantly changing and
adding new devices. The devices you mention are fairly new, and they will
probably be in the next device update, but they are not present now. You
can look at http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6 for the
complete list of tested devices and emulators.

For the new devices, you will need to use the profiling tool until they are
added to the device update list.

Hope this helps,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: <browserCaps>
| Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:29:17 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for the link. It seems to be a really helpful tool.
|
| But my concern is more, that common used devices are not reconized.
|
| An Ipaq 5550 or Sony Ericsson P900 (and Opera for Symbian) are widley used
| devices.
|
| If I need to write myself every configuration, it doesn't make sense to
me.

| Eric

Eric

Hi John,

Thank you for your answers.
I'm not satisfied how it's working right know, but your answers were really
helpful.

I know where to create a new profile or lookup one.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/o...b/default.aspx
http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/default.aspx
http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6

My suggestions is, that there should be more often a 'deviceUpdate'.
The last one is more than 10 month ago.

Eric

""John"" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:0QjqsD%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Eric
>
> I understand your concern, but the mobile market is constantly changing
> and
> adding new devices. The devices you mention are fairly new, and they will
> probably be in the next device update, but they are not present now. You
> can look at http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6 for
> the
> complete list of tested devices and emulators.
>
> For the new devices, you will need to use the profiling tool until they
> are
> added to the device update list.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> John Eikanger
> Microsoft Developer Support
>
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> --------------------
> | From: "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: Re: <browserCaps>
> | Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:29:17 +0200
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
> |
> | Thanks for the link. It seems to be a really helpful tool.
> |
> | But my concern is more, that common used devices are not reconized.
> |
> | An Ipaq 5550 or Sony Ericsson P900 (and Opera for Symbian) are widley
> used
> | devices.
> |
> | If I need to write myself every configuration, it doesn't make sense to
> me.
> |
> | Eric

John

Hi, Eric

More frequent updates would be great. They may be in a busy place in the
development cycle, and we'll see more devices when they finish with a
higher priority task.

Good luck with your project,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/o...eb/default.asp
| http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/default.aspx
| http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6
|
| My suggestions is, that there should be more often a 'deviceUpdate'.
| The last one is more than 10 month ago.
|
| Eric
|

| ""John"" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| news:0QjqsD%(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Hi, Eric
| >
| > I understand your concern, but the mobile market is constantly changing
| > and
| > adding new devices. The devices you mention are fairly new, and they
will
| > probably be in the next device update, but they are not present now.
You
| > can look at http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6 for
| > the
| > complete list of tested devices and emulators.
| >
| > For the new devices, you will need to use the profiling tool until they
| > are
| > added to the device update list.
| >
| > Hope this helps,
| >
| > John Eikanger
| > Microsoft Developer Support
| >
| > This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| > | Subject: Re: <browserCaps>
| > | Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:29:17 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP15
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Thanks for the link. It seems to be a really helpful tool.
| > |
| > | But my concern is more, that common used devices are not reconized.
| > |
| > | An Ipaq 5550 or Sony Ericsson P900 (and Opera for Symbian) are widley
| > used
| > | devices.
| > |
| > | If I need to write myself every configuration, it doesn't make sense
| > me.
| > |
| > | Eric
| > |