Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > open a window in the background

open a window in the background

Ed Brandmark

I want to be able to open a window in the background of my page -
without that flicker you see if you just open the window and then blur
it (or focus the main window).
The reason I want to do this is that I want to open a window and
retrieve an URL. That URL may have 'nothing to say' and thus it will
just do a self.close()
In this case the user sees this flicker and then there is nothing back
there.

If something is returned the popup window will focus itself - and thus
be completed.

I can't evaluate the condition first (before opening the window) thus
I am stuck. I was just wondering if there is a way to open a window
in the background without using blur or focus.

Thanks in advance
Ed

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us with...

> I can't evaluate the condition first (before opening the window) thus
> I am stuck. I was just wondering if there is a way to open a window
> in the background without using blur or focus.

Not really, but if you're targeting recent browsers, you can have an
"invisible" iframe that can do the check, then open the window if
necessary.

~kaeli~
Dancing cheek-to-cheek is really a form of floor play.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace