Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Base Conversion Finally Came Up?

Base Conversion Finally Came Up?

Gord

I was doing some conversion of this and that and for some reason it
occurred to me that a form might be useful for this page of conversion
explanation:

http://www.eastontario.com/promo/baseConversion.htm

Anyone out there interested in converting that page to a form method
conversion display from base n to base10 to base m?

m ---> 10 ---> n
n ---> 10 ---> m

Please forward response to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)PAM without the
NOSPAM part

Michael Winter

On 1 Apr 2004 12:36:14 -0800, Gord <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> Anyone out there interested in converting that page to a form method
> conversion display from base n to base10 to base m?
>
> m ---> 10 ---> n
> n ---> 10 ---> m

I'm fairly sure Dr Stockton has already done that.

> Please forward response to (E-Mail Removed)PAM without the
> NOSPAM part

That isn't how Usenet works. Replies go to the group, unless something
personal needs to be said to the poster. It's in the group FAQ:

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/>

Mike

--
Michael Winter
(E-Mail Removed)d (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)

Jeff North

On 1 Apr 2004 12:36:14 -0800, in comp.lang.javascript
(E-Mail Removed) (Gord) wrote:

>| I was doing some conversion of this and that and for some reason it
>| occurred to me that a form might be useful for this page of conversion
>| explanation:
>|
>| http://www.eastontario.com/promo/baseConversion.htm
>|
>| Anyone out there interested in converting that page to a form method
>| conversion display from base n to base10 to base m?
>|
>| m ---> 10 ---> n
>| n ---> 10 ---> m

I wrote these routines for some students so the code is very much over
simplified.
http://jjnau.netfirms.com/base/convert.htm
http://jjnau.netfirms.com/base/convert2.htm
(E-Mail Removed) : Remove your pants to reply

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript, Michael Winter <(E-Mail Removed)
d> posted at Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:43:06 :
>On 1 Apr 2004 12:36:14 -0800, Gord <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> Anyone out there interested in converting that page to a form method
>> conversion display from base n to base10 to base m?
>>
>> m ---> 10 ---> n
>> n ---> 10 ---> m

>I'm fairly sure Dr Stockton has already done that.

Well, it's naive to assume that one must go via base ten; otherwise,
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-maths.htm#Base> appears to handle
everything for which the numerical value is reasonable.

Converting non-integers, or where Number is inadequate, seems
unreasonable.

Gord

Dr John Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
> news:comp.lang.javascript, Michael Winter <(E-Mail Removed)
> d> posted at Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:43:06 :
> >On 1 Apr 2004 12:36:14 -0800, Gord <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >> Anyone out there interested in converting that page to a form method
> >> conversion display from base n to base10 to base m?
> >>
> >> m ---> 10 ---> n
> >> n ---> 10 ---> m

> >I'm fairly sure Dr Stockton has already done that.

> Well, it's naive to assume that one must go via base ten; otherwise,
> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-maths.htm#Base> appears to handle
> everything for which the numerical value is reasonable.
>
> Converting non-integers, or where Number is inadequate, seems
> unreasonable.

What fine work.

"...where Number is inadequate, seems unreasonable" is accurate, but
not the 100% free effort one might imagine.

" Please weight the combinations of base44 to create a reversable form
from http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-maths.htm#Frm2 " would be a bit
much to ask for someone obviously on so many paths.

Thanks for the reference,
Gord (E-Mail Removed)PAM