Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Aspnet_wp.exe process locks internet explorer/ any process utilizing windows scripting (cscript)

Aspnet_wp.exe process locks internet explorer/ any process utilizing windows scripting (cscript)

Robert W. Eckert

As the title suggests, I am experiencing a problem, originally on a
production server machine and now on other machines where internet
explorer and other processes that use windows script (cscript in
particular) hang on loading. Today I found that when I kill
aspnet_wp.exe, the other processes load and continue as expected.
(Found this while working on a new web service) However our second
production machine does not have this problem.
Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening.

system detail
Windows 2000 - Sp4 + hotfixes
Production: .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1
Development Machine : .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1 with
all latest service packs.

Thanks in advance
Rob Eckert
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)rt.____name
(remove spaces for direct e-mail)

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

This is very wierd!
maybe u can try restart the aspnet process
and try seeing what u have to do when use versions 1.0 and 1.0 together
Patrick

"Robert W. Eckert" wrote:

> As the title suggests, I am experiencing a problem, originally on a
> production server machine and now on other machines where internet
> explorer and other processes that use windows script (cscript in
> particular) hang on loading. Today I found that when I kill
> aspnet_wp.exe, the other processes load and continue as expected.
> (Found this while working on a new web service) However our second
> production machine does not have this problem.
> Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening.
>
> system detail
> Windows 2000 - Sp4 + hotfixes
> Production: .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1
> Development Machine : .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1 with
> all latest service packs.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Rob Eckert
> (E-Mail Removed)rt.____name
> (remove spaces for direct e-mail)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEVja2VydA==?=

I'm not sure what you mean about using versions 1.0 and 1.0 together,
we have 1.0 and 1.1 installed on these machines in that order, then service
packs as they came out, as well as the 1.1 SDK. We found that we needed both
frameworks installed since we have some 3rd party dlls that seem to only work
with 1.0, and other development which uses 1.1.

What really gets me is that it affects the scripting languages, Its like it
has some sort of exclusive lock on the dlls, and blocks any access by other
programs. If I use IE to goto a page that doesn't use any scripts, it is
fine. This also affects explorer in some folders where there are any
customizations on the folder which use scripting.

Rob

"Patrick.O.Ige" wrote:

> This is very wierd!
> maybe u can try restart the aspnet process
> and try seeing what u have to do when use versions 1.0 and 1.0 together
> Patrick
>

> "Robert W. Eckert" wrote:
>
> > As the title suggests, I am experiencing a problem, originally on a
> > production server machine and now on other machines where internet
> > explorer and other processes that use windows script (cscript in
> > particular) hang on loading. Today I found that when I kill
> > aspnet_wp.exe, the other processes load and continue as expected.
> > (Found this while working on a new web service) However our second
> > production machine does not have this problem.
> > Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening.
> >
> > system detail
> > Windows 2000 - Sp4 + hotfixes
> > Production: .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1
> > Development Machine : .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1 with
> > all latest service packs.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Rob Eckert
> > (E-Mail Removed)rt.____name
> > (remove spaces for direct e-mail)

galampi

We have the exact same error and a very similiar server setup to what
you have. Unfortunately we don't know of a solution at the moment,
either

"Rob Eckert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I'm not sure what you mean about using versions 1.0 and 1.0 together,
> we have 1.0 and 1.1 installed on these machines in that order, then service
> packs as they came out, as well as the 1.1 SDK. We found that we needed both
> frameworks installed since we have some 3rd party dlls that seem to only work
> with 1.0, and other development which uses 1.1.
>
> What really gets me is that it affects the scripting languages, Its like it
> has some sort of exclusive lock on the dlls, and blocks any access by other
> programs. If I use IE to goto a page that doesn't use any scripts, it is
> fine. This also affects explorer in some folders where there are any
> customizations on the folder which use scripting.
>
> Rob
>
> "Patrick.O.Ige" wrote:
>
> > This is very wierd!
> > maybe u can try restart the aspnet process
> > and try seeing what u have to do when use versions 1.0 and 1.0 together
> > Patrick
> >

> > "Robert W. Eckert" wrote:
> >
> > > As the title suggests, I am experiencing a problem, originally on a
> > > production server machine and now on other machines where internet
> > > explorer and other processes that use windows script (cscript in
> > > particular) hang on loading. Today I found that when I kill
> > > aspnet_wp.exe, the other processes load and continue as expected.
> > > (Found this while working on a new web service) However our second
> > > production machine does not have this problem.
> > > Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening.
> > >
> > > system detail
> > > Windows 2000 - Sp4 + hotfixes
> > > Production: .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1
> > > Development Machine : .Net Framework 1.0 and .Net Framework 1.1 with
> > > all latest service packs.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Rob Eckert
> > > (E-Mail Removed)rt.____name
> > > (remove spaces for direct e-mail)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEVja2VydA==?=

Hopefully someone from MS will see this thread and post a response