Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > refreshing main opener window from a second (popup) window

refreshing main opener window from a second (popup) window

sentinel

Hello,

I'm having problems refreshing a main window, and am not sure really
whether the solution will be Javascript or PHP related.

Firstly, I have a main file that calls a pop-up box which enables
comments to be made about certain images on the page. The pop-up makes
a connection to a MySQL database and the existing comments are put
into a PHP array and echoed to the screen.

I use a GET argument to send the image ID to the pop-up. If a name
instead a number is passed, it creates a new entry in the DB under
this name.

However, the main problem is that if the pop-up is closed down, unless
the main page is refreshed, it will still show '0' comments, and if
clicked again will pass the same GET arguments,, thus created another
entry with the same name.

What I need is to find a way of refreshing the main window when data
is posted from the pop-up window, so that the main page is always
showing accurate data.

Any suggestions ? I have tried things like 'window.opener.reload()'
but can't seem to get this to work.

Rgds
Neil.

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk enlightened us with...

> What I need is to find a way of refreshing the main window when data
> is posted from the pop-up window, so that the main page is always
> showing accurate data.
>
> Any suggestions ? I have tried things like 'window.opener.reload()'
> but can't seem to get this to work.

Try
window.opener.reload(true);

If that doesn't work, tell us what *does* happen - that is, do you get
an error? If so, what does it say?
Does the page refresh, but show old data? If the page refreshes but
shows old data, it may be a setting in your browser or there may be a
proxy server between you and the content server that is caching. You can
set headers to (try to) tell it not to do that.

~kaeli~
Support your local medical examiner: die strangely!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

window.opener, form.opener? jojowebdev@gmail.com Javascript 5 07-14-2006 07:08 PM
opener.opener ? Yaron C. Javascript 4 11-02-2003 06:11 AM
Refreshing or Redirecting Opener Window Dan M ASP .Net 3 07-09-2003 05:18 PM
trigger event on opener from popup when closing it or run opener script from popup Urs Gubler Javascript 0 07-02-2003 02:08 PM

Advertisments