Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Java Script Memory Management Questions

Java Script Memory Management Questions

george xu

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how JavaScript manages its memory. In
particular when using the 'new' operator to create an object is it
necessary to explicitly delete this object (before it moves out of scope,
like c++) or does JavaScript clean this up automatically?

What about string varaible which uses concatenation extensively?

Thanks.

George

Brian Genisio

george xu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out how JavaScript manages its memory. In
> particular when using the 'new' operator to create an object is it
> necessary to explicitly delete this object (before it moves out of scope,
> like c++) or does JavaScript clean this up automatically?
>
> What about string varaible which uses concatenation extensively?
>
> Thanks.
>
> George

Javascript has it's own garbage collection mechanism. You do not need
to delete variables created with new. (I dont think you can)

Strings follow the same model.

Brian