Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Javascript with expiring cookie

Javascript with expiring cookie

Mo

I am looking for a JavaScript that will allow me to open a pop-up
window "onUnload". The pop-up window should set a cookie on the users
computer that expires in 'n' number of days.

Randy Webb

Mo wrote:

> I am looking for a JavaScript that will allow me to open a pop-up
> window "onUnload". The pop-up window should set a cookie on the users
> computer that expires in 'n' number of days.

So, after I leave your site, you want to *attempt* to annoy me by
opening yet another ad window?

And *if* I allow the cookie, do I get cyber-milk with it?

Stop trying to annoy people after they have left your site. They are
gone, let them go in peace.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Tim Williams

"Cardman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:35:12 +0000, Randy Webb
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <trim>
> Just what do you have against cookies by the way? When being able to
> recognize what one of your customers it is when they visit your site
> has always seemed like a good idea to me, when you can welcome them
> with like "Hello Randy, Welcome Back!".
>
> Cardman
> http://www.cardman.com
> http://www.cardman.co.uk

I've always thought that was more creepy than anything else. Anyway,
what has opening a new window got to do with setting a cookie? This
can be done anytime from the main window.

Tim.

Michael Winter

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:23:22 +0000, Cardman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:35:12 +0000, Randy Webb
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mo wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a JavaScript that will allow me to open a pop-up
>>> window "onUnload". The pop-up window should set a cookie on the users
>>> computer that expires in 'n' number of days.

>> So, after I leave your site, you want to *attempt* to annoy me by
>> opening yet another ad window?
>>
>> And *if* I allow the cookie, do I get cyber-milk with it?
>>
>> Stop trying to annoy people after they have left your site. They are
>> gone, let them go in peace.

> Well, there are valid uses for this function don't forget, even if
> better options could exist.

[snip]

The onunload intrinsic event is unreliable and should be avoided. Browsers
consider different things "unload events". For example, I think IE fires
onunload when a page changes, is refreshed, and when the window is closed.
Opera only fires it when the page is changed. I haven't got around to
installing Netscape and Mozilla, so I can't compare them.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)