Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

Please help to limit number of selections in multiple select list box

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d enlightened us with...

> > Is there a debugger for it [Opera], like "javascript:" in NN?

> The built-in JavaScript console can trace errors, identifing where the
> error originated (an onclick event, for example) and traverse up through
> the call stack to the statement that contains the error. It will describe
> the error, and show exceptions, too.
>
> If it doesn't pop up automatically[1], you can open it from Window >
> Special > JavaScript console.

I found a neat thing: opera.postError("string");
Very cool.

However, I miss my status bar. Why does it go away after the page loads?
I looked in the preferences, but found only the way to keep scripts from
playing with it.

The error was that I was using an old version of the menu script from
2001 that intentionally left out Opera. I forgot about that. Bad me. It
works now.

Thanks!

~kaeli~
Support your local medical examiner: die strangely!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Michael Winter

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:47:12 -0600, kaeli <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I found a neat thing: opera.postError("string");
> Very cool.

Didn't know about that, and you're right: it is funky.

> However, I miss my status bar. Why does it go away after the page loads?
> I looked in the preferences, but found only the way to keep scripts from
> playing with it.

Look at the submenus in the first separator group of the View menu. You
can set all of the ***bar preferences there, including the status bar.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
(E-Mail Removed)d (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)

Michael Winter

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:11:26 GMT, Michael Winter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:47:12 -0600, kaeli <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> However, I miss my status bar. Why does it go away after the page loads?
>> I looked in the preferences, but found only the way to keep scripts from
>> playing with it.

> Look at the submenus in the first separator group of the View menu. You
> can set all of the ***bar preferences there, including the status bar.

Forgot to mention: what you are actually referring to is not the status
bar, it's the progress bar. They are two separate things. However, I think
the status bar is disabled by default, so you'll still have to check its
setting.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
(E-Mail Removed)d (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

kaeli <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I found a neat thing: opera.postError("string");

Neat. Didn't know that.

> However, I miss my status bar. Why does it go away after the page loads?

Design

> I looked in the preferences, but found only the way to keep scripts from
> playing with it.

The progress bar is only shown while there is progress to show.
However, if you want to see the information from it, you can put its
fields into another, permanent, toolbar.

Right click on a tool bar and select "Customize toolbars". In the
"Fields" pane, you can find "Images", "Total", "Speed", "Elapsed" and
"Progress status". You can drag these onto, e.g., the status bar.

That is for Opera 7.23. In the next version (currently only a technology
preview has been released, and it is not to be considered bug free) the
interface will be even more customizable. I didn't think it possible

> The error was that I was using an old version of the menu script from
> 2001 that intentionally left out Opera.

A lesson in leaving out browsers: Only ever leave out the versions that
exist now, and that you have tested and knows won't work. Don't leave
out the entire family, and let them be damned to seven generations for
the sins of the father.

/L

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)d enlightened us with...

> >> However, I miss my status bar. Why does it go away after the page loads?
> >> I looked in the preferences, but found only the way to keep scripts from
> >> playing with it.

> > Look at the submenus in the first separator group of the View menu. You
> > can set all of the ***bar preferences there, including the status bar.

> Forgot to mention: what you are actually referring to is not the status
> bar, it's the progress bar. They are two separate things. However, I think
> the status bar is disabled by default, so you'll still have to check its
> setting.

Oh, well, I meant the status bar.
Like, when I put my mouse over links, I really want to see where it's
going.

I think I just found a new favorite browser. Lookit all the skins!!
*heh*
And I didn't have to set up all the mime types and plugins like I did
for Mozilla (which I still can't get to download some stuff). Yay.

One more thing - even though I set the cache to everything I could think
of, including off, it still caches my .js files, so when I'm changing
them around, it doesn't reload the new version right away (I had to load
up the .js separate, then hit control+reload). This is only problematic
when I'm testing stuff, so it's no huge deal (my stuff isn't even
required to work with it, but hey), but do you know why? Figured I'd
ask, JIC.
I have this problem on and off with NN7 with external pages because of
our proxy server's cache, but this is an internal site, so that's not
the issue (no proxy for internal sites)...

I know what I'm downloading when I get home.

~kaeli~
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Michael Winter

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:52:17 -0600, kaeli <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Oh, well, I meant the status bar.
> Like, when I put my mouse over links, I really want to see where it's
> going.

You can also hover and get a tool-tip with the information (which can't be
faked).

> I think I just found a new favorite browser. Lookit all the skins!!
> *heh*

Just a couple, eh?

> And I didn't have to set up all the mime types and plugins like I did
> for Mozilla (which I still can't get to download some stuff). Yay.

You'll probably want to change the source viewer, though (Preferences >
Programs and paths). I think it defaults to Window's Write.

> One more thing - even though I set the cache to everything I could think
> of, including off, it still caches my .js files, so when I'm changing
> them around, it doesn't reload the new version right away (I had to load
> up the .js separate, then hit control+reload). This is only problematic
> when I'm testing stuff, so it's no huge deal (my stuff isn't even
> required to work with it, but hey), but do you know why? Figured I'd
> ask, JIC.
> I have this problem on and off with NN7 with external pages because of
> our proxy server's cache, but this is an internal site, so that's not
> the issue (no proxy for internal sites)...

Can't say that I've had any trouble with caching. You might try changing
the checking frequency to 'Always'. The (unfortunately outdated)
documentation does state that even with caching disabled, it may still
store files temporarily.

If it is an issue, you could raise it on the Opera newsgroups. Opera
Software have their own news server at news.opera.com.

By the way, Ctrl+F5 doesn't force a refresh, just pressing F5 or Ctrl+R
will do that. Ctrl+F5 reloads all open pages[1].

> I know what I'm downloading when I get home.

Enjoy your new browser.

Mike

[1] These are the default keys. All keystrokes can be redefined.

--
Michael Winter
(E-Mail Removed)d (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)

kaeli

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) enlightened us
with...

> > However, I miss my status bar. Why does it go away after the page loads?

> Design

I found it.
In the View menu.

> > The error was that I was using an old version of the menu script from
> > 2001 that intentionally left out Opera.

> A lesson in leaving out browsers: Only ever leave out the versions that
> exist now, and that you have tested and knows won't work. Don't leave
> out the entire family, and let them be damned to seven generations for
> the sins of the father.

I don't - it was a downloaded script from a free script site.
I do object detection. However, I do remember than in O5 (the version
that was out when I downloaded the script in 2001, IIRC), testing for
..style came back true, but trying to set .style.backgroundColor failed.
I have never heard of that issue in other browsers except that one and I
think some bugs in Mac IE.

~kaeli~
He had a photographic memory that was never developed.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Richard Cornford

"kaeli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
>>Do the customers really want all this dynamic stuff?

>I would assume so, since the notice when they upgraded
>stated so and apologized for any inconvenience.
>*shrugs*

That sounds like the bank telling the customers what they want. It
doesn't necessarily mean that the customers do want it, and they are
still unlikely to change banks if it was not there so long as they can
successfully do their banking business. While a requirement that they
wait half an hour to download the latest version of some browsers prior
to doing what they had previously been able to do instantly may
encourage people to change banks (assuming the market include at least
one that has employed developers who know how to implement the bells and
whistles as optional extras)

The benefit for the bank of online banking seems to be that it enables
them to do an increasing proportion of their business in a way that does
not require that they employ large numbers of people to sit behind desks
in branches handling transactions in person. To that end maximising the
potential user base for their online services would seem like the best
approach to maximising their return.

<snip>
>A small example from my own (intranet) experience - a form
>to ask for help. The form is created on the fly, with elements
>created based on previous choices. ...

<snip>

The users like it because it works. But it only works because you know
enough about the Intranet users, there set-ups and browsers to know that
what needs to be done to ensure that it works.

On the Internet things will never be that simple. I particularly like
the way that MSDN is authored so that when I visit it with IE it assumes
that it can run ActiveX, but it can't because I don't allow scripting of
ActiveX over the internet (by anyone). It demonstrates that even
Microsoft cannot cope with the configurability of their own browser and
makes the site more usable with Mozilla (where at least they recognise
that they cannot expect to be able to run ActiveX).

In all cases, if the developers understood their jobs they could provide
a functional base of HTML and server-side scripts that would work for
everyone and still have the DHTML enhancements for those that could take
advantage of them (even when that would require a default configuration
of the latest versions of maybe two browsers).

Richard.

Paul

Thanks Padam

Paul