Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > How to delete a password without deleting saved mail?

How to delete a password without deleting saved mail?

ParaMind Brainstorming Software

Having problems with a new webhost who is my mail server. It was working fine.
When I rebooted the machine it asked for my e-mail password again. I thought
I typed it correctly, but it stored the wrong one. Anyway, now I've changed
passwords because the tech help there seemed to think it had something to do
with strange characters I was using.

I can not delete my old password in the password manager as this seems to be
only for web sites and
not the e-mail program.

I'm doing a search for files that have the password as text. Maybe this will
find some kind of configuration file.

Can someone tell me if there is something wrong. This is obviously a huge lack
of foresight if you can't change
a mistyped password.

Remember, I do want to save old mail, so creating a new account usually only
creates multiple e-mails.

Hopefully the programms of Mozilla read this newsgroup.
--
ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.

ParaMind Brainstorming Software

oops, hit send too quickly...hopefully the programmers of Mozilla ocassionally
read this newsgroup. This is a strange problem that they should look into
fixing as soon as possible, or make it more apparent how to change it.

No one likes programs built for geeks only (lol).
--
ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
http://www.paramind.net

Less Murphy

ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:
> Having problems with a new webhost who is my mail server. It was working fine.
> When I rebooted the machine it asked for my e-mail password again. I thought
> I typed it correctly, but it stored the wrong one. Anyway, now I've changed
> passwords because the tech help there seemed to think it had something to do
> with strange characters I was using.
>
> I can not delete my old password in the password manager as this seems to be
> only for web sites and
> not the e-mail program.
>
> I'm doing a search for files that have the password as text. Maybe this will
> find some kind of configuration file.
>
> Can someone tell me if there is something wrong. This is obviously a huge lack
> of foresight if you can't change
> a mistyped password.
>
> Remember, I do want to save old mail, so creating a new account usually only
> creates multiple e-mails.
>
> Hopefully the programms of Mozilla read this newsgroup.
> --
> ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
> totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
> http://www.paramind.net

Mozilla should give you a list of passwords it has saved, and one should
be for mailbox[servername].
if not, try going through options in Mozilla Mail part of the program
and find the passwords section.

Leonidas Jones

ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:

> oops, hit send too quickly...hopefully the programmers of Mozilla ocassionally
> read this newsgroup. This is a strange problem that they should look into
> fixing as soon as possible, or make it more apparent how to change it.
>
> No one likes programs built for geeks only (lol).
> --
> ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
> totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
> http://www.paramind.net

Try Tools>>Password Manager>>Manage Stored Passwords.

All your mail passwords are stored there. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

Lee

Moz Champion

ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:

> Having problems with a new webhost who is my mail server. It was working fine.
> When I rebooted the machine it asked for my e-mail password again. I thought
> I typed it correctly, but it stored the wrong one. Anyway, now I've changed
> passwords because the tech help there seemed to think it had something to do
> with strange characters I was using.
>
> I can not delete my old password in the password manager as this seems to be
> only for web sites and
> not the e-mail program.
>
> I'm doing a search for files that have the password as text. Maybe this will
> find some kind of configuration file.
>
> Can someone tell me if there is something wrong. This is obviously a huge lack
> of foresight if you can't change
> a mistyped password.
>
> Remember, I do want to save old mail, so creating a new account usually only
> creates multiple e-mails.
>
> Hopefully the programms of Mozilla read this newsgroup.
> --
> ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
> totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
> http://www.paramind.net

Um, when you go to the mail site, or try to get mail, since the old password will be used it will fail, it will then ask you for a new userid/password. Enter them

the new will replace the old one.

So, there is no lack of foresight <g>. You want to change the password? Simple, try to use it. The mistyped one will fail, forcing you to enter the new one.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

ParaMind Brainstorming Software

Here's the problem. The main domain account had been through two other
webhosts and was still called what the first one was called.

When I deleted both of them, it then
prompted me for a password.

So, somehow Mozilla was not calling the mail server by its proper name.

--
ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
http://www.paramind.net

Moz Champion

ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:

> Here's the problem. The main domain account had been through two other
> webhosts and was still called what the first one was called.
>
> When I deleted both of them, it then
> prompted me for a password.
>
> So, somehow Mozilla was not calling the mail server by its proper name.
>

> --
> ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
> totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
> http://www.paramind.net

Then change the account info so it does address it by the correct name.

Its connecting to something, else it wouldnt be asking for a password in the first place, the password prompt just doesnt just 'show' up, it is invoked by the server. If the server is asking for a specific user id, then give it the user id it wants, along with the password it associattes with that user id.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org