Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Determining another frames location

Determining another frames location

Funk

Hi,

I am currently creating a system that will support web based research. The
idea is that the researcher is able to use Internet Explorer or Mozilla, or
whichever browser to search for information and then be able to paste little
tidbits of information to a seperate frame which will then be associated
with the page they are viewing in the main page.

So basically you have a 'main' frame which the researcher uses to google,
and surf all over the web, with another 'quotes' frame which points to a
local webpage which submits quotes and the location of the 'main' frame to
our database.

The problem, as I am sure that most of you are aware is that calling

myLocation = parent.frames.main.location.href;

from the 'quotes' frame results in a permission denied error in internet
exporer. I can fully appreciate why this may be, but for my system, the
ability to call this will stop me from having to custom write an application
using the COM internet explorer control.

Does anyone have a hack to allow an IE frame to get the location of the
other frames accross differing domains? Or any other ideas to get this
functionality?

Thanks

Jim Ley

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:34:01 +1100, "Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>I am currently creating a system that will support web based research. The
>idea is that the researcher is able to use Internet Explorer or Mozilla, or
>whichever browser to search for information and then be able to paste little
>tidbits of information to a seperate frame which will then be associated
>with the page they are viewing in the main page.

Don't bother reinventing the wheel, just get them to use Annotea, it
exists there are clients for a variety of browsers and platforms.

There's no way to violate the security you want.

Jim.