Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Hiding horizontal scrollbar

Hiding horizontal scrollbar

Fabian

Is there a way to hiode the horizontal (but NOT the vertical) scrollbar?

Fabian
Visit my website often and for long periods!
http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Jon

how about make you're page a width that won't need one!

"Fabian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsvn0a$1tau0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Is there a way to hiode the horizontal (but NOT the vertical) scrollbar?

> Fabian
> Visit my website often and for long periods!
> http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Fabian

Jon hu kiteb:

> how about make you're page a width that won't need one!

It doesnt need one. But I use image clipping on this page, and some
browsers insist on leaving blank space for the non-displaying part of
the clipped image regardless of whether anything would actually get
displayed or not.

Fabian
Visit my website often and for long periods!
http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Kien

The answer is No.
I think best is to redesing your page ie. table etc
so that the width does not cause horizontal scrolling.

Kien

"Fabian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bsvn0a$1tau0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> Is there a way to hiode the horizontal (but NOT the vertical) scrollbar?

George Hester

When the pieces are non-displaying can you re-size them to height="0" and width="0"? That's how I got around non-vieawble components on a page I was developing.

--
George Hester
__________________________________
"Fabian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bsvthm$1vvu8$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Jon hu kiteb:
>
> > how about make you're page a width that won't need one!

> It doesnt need one. But I use image clipping on this page, and some
> browsers insist on leaving blank space for the non-displaying part of
> the clipped image regardless of whether anything would actually get
> displayed or not.

> Fabian
> Visit my website often and for long periods!
> http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Fabian

George Hester hu kiteb:

> When the pieces are non-displaying can you re-size them to height="0"
> and width="0"? That's how I got around non-vieawble components on a
> page I was developing.

I just uploaded a temp version of the page at
http://www.lajzar.co.uk/virt/temp/index.html

When you view that block so that it is ahead and to the right, the
invisible portion of the images falls off the right of the screen, even
at 1024 screen width (it should normally appear okay on 800 pixel screen
width).

Having uploaded, I am wondering just how fast MSIE is at redrawing
clipped images. I had made these changes to reduce the number of images
needed in cache (replace 3 images with 1 that is slightly smaller than
the original total file size), but it looks suspiciously slower.

Fabian
Visit my website often and for long periods!
http://www.lajzar.co.uk

George Hester

This image did not appear:

http://www.lajzar.co.uk/virt/temp/ua_bg/ua_wilds.jpg

So I don't think I got the full effest?

--
George Hester
__________________________________
"Fabian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bt388s$2pk9g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> George Hester hu kiteb:
>
> > When the pieces are non-displaying can you re-size them to height="0"
> > and width="0"? That's how I got around non-vieawble components on a
> > page I was developing.

> I just uploaded a temp version of the page at
> http://www.lajzar.co.uk/virt/temp/index.html
>
> When you view that block so that it is ahead and to the right, the
> invisible portion of the images falls off the right of the screen, even
> at 1024 screen width (it should normally appear okay on 800 pixel screen
> width).
>
> Having uploaded, I am wondering just how fast MSIE is at redrawing
> clipped images. I had made these changes to reduce the number of images
> needed in cache (replace 3 images with 1 that is slightly smaller than
> the original total file size), but it looks suspiciously slower.

> Fabian
> Visit my website often and for long periods!
> http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Fabian

George Hester hu kiteb:

> This image did not appear:
>
> http://www.lajzar.co.uk/virt/temp/ua_bg/ua_wilds.jpg
>
> So I don't think I got the full effest?

That one is a static image - it won't change in that temp page. It is
just a placeholder. You can see the full effect at
http://www.lajzar.co.uk/virt/index.html and then selecting any of the
indoor worlds.

What I'm doing with the temp page is creating a different means of
arriving at the same end, but using a single graphics file for each
unique wall texture. The problem is that with teh alternate code in
certain views I get excess screen width used due to the way the clip
style is interpreted.

Fabian
Visit my website often and for long periods!
http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Saqib Amin

Dear Fabian,

yes i have a solution that will hide your horizontal bar and not the
vertical one.. well i also faced this kind of a problem in using Frames,
my frame size use to increase and decrease dynamically bases on the
contents of the frames..due to which horizontal height used to display,
so i did a solution for it i.e, i calculated the height of the table of
the frame page... and after that i set that table height to the frame
height it really worked....i got rid of horizontal bar.... this was just
for hiding horizontal bar not the vertical bar..

frame.height = table.scrollheight
hope you find it helpful....

even then if you find any ambiguity do let me know

Yours Truly
Saqib Amin