Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Hide status bar link

Reply
Thread Tools

Hide status bar link

 
 
Ian Shere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2003
I have a disclaimer page prior to a visitor going to my FAQ page. I want to
hide the link which normally appears in the status bar from visitors seeing
it.

I am using the following code which works fine except that the "I Agree"
link still shows the link path. What's wrong - driving me nuts!!??
<script language="JavaScript">

<!-- Hide the script from old browsers --

function a(txt) {

self.status = txt

}

function b() {

self.status = ""

}

// --End Hiding Here -->

</script>

<A HREF="index.html" onMouseOver="a('Return to Home Page');return true"

onMouseOut="window.status=''; ">I Disagree</a>

<p>

<A HREF="freqquest.html" onMouseOver="a('Go to FAQ's Page');return true"

onMouseOut="window.status=''; ">I Agree</a>


--
Ian Shere
Tarzan Design Ltd
Award Winning Architecture
www.tarzandesign.co.nz


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
VK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2003
window.status="..."; return true;

To activate the status change, you always have to return the true.
It comes from NN v2 prehistory, and it has no sense or use anymore, but
ECMA keeps it for some reason (nostalgia?).


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian Shere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2003
Not sure exactly where that's to go - I copied it to where it seemed it
should be and nothing worked at all. So I am back to where I started with
the 2nd link path ALWAYS showing in the status bar and the first nicely
displaying my message.


--
Ian Shere
Tarzan Design Ltd
Award Winning Architecture
www.tarzandesign.co.nz
"VK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe253f5$0$22081$(E-Mail Removed)...
> window.status="..."; return true;
>
> To activate the status change, you always have to return the true.
> It comes from NN v2 prehistory, and it has no sense or use anymore, but
> ECMA keeps it for some reason (nostalgia?).
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian Shere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2003
Figured it out! It was in this piece of code - onMouseOver="a('Go to FAQ's
Page');return true. JS was reading the ' in FAQ's as the end of that
portion of text and then didn't know what to do with 's - I just didn't
notice the error message in the status bar!


--
Ian Shere
Tarzan Design Ltd
Award Winning Architecture
www.tarzandesign.co.nz
"Ian Shere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I_rEb.13646$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a disclaimer page prior to a visitor going to my FAQ page. I want

to
> hide the link which normally appears in the status bar from visitors

seeing
> it.
>
> I am using the following code which works fine except that the "I Agree"
> link still shows the link path. What's wrong - driving me nuts!!??
> <script language="JavaScript">
>
> <!-- Hide the script from old browsers --
>
> function a(txt) {
>
> self.status = txt
>
> }
>
> function b() {
>
> self.status = ""
>
> }
>
> // --End Hiding Here -->
>
> </script>
>
> <A HREF="index.html" onMouseOver="a('Return to Home Page');return true"
>
> onMouseOut="window.status=''; ">I Disagree</a>
>
> <p>
>
> <A HREF="freqquest.html" onMouseOver="a('Go to FAQ's Page');return true"
>
> onMouseOut="window.status=''; ">I Agree</a>
>
>
> --
> Ian Shere
> Tarzan Design Ltd
> Award Winning Architecture
> www.tarzandesign.co.nz
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2003
Ian Shere wrote:

> I have a disclaimer page prior to a visitor going to my FAQ page. I want
> to hide the link which normally appears in the status bar from visitors
> seeing it.


Rule 1: If you hide something from the user, you are going to annoy people.
Rule 2: If you hide something from the user with JavaScript, its likely to
be trivial to unhide it

(and I love Mozilla's "Allow Scripts to: [] Change status bar text" option)

Security thorough obscurity is not security:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...egalInsecurity

(and click through agreements are worthless anyway)

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
kaeli
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2003
In article <bruaj1$t0n$2$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
enlightened us with...
>
> (and I love Mozilla's "Allow Scripts to: [] Change status bar text" option)
>


You're not the only one.

I HATE when people change my status bar.

And in IE, if I really care, I can get the properties of the link to see
where it goes. Last resort I can view the source of the page.

--
--
~kaeli~
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian Shere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2003
Trivial for anyone who know JS yes - that accounts for a very small %age of
net users.
Second, hiding a link from appearing in the status bar is highly unlikely to
annoy any but a minute number of users.
Third, a click through agreement beats nothing at all, and certainly in
court here, would be VERY useful.

--
Ian Shere
Tarzan Design Ltd
Award Winning Architecture
www.tarzandesign.co.nz
"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bruaj1$t0n$2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ian Shere wrote:
>
> > I have a disclaimer page prior to a visitor going to my FAQ page. I

want
> > to hide the link which normally appears in the status bar from visitors
> > seeing it.

>
> Rule 1: If you hide something from the user, you are going to annoy

people.
> Rule 2: If you hide something from the user with JavaScript, its likely to
> be trivial to unhide it
>
> (and I love Mozilla's "Allow Scripts to: [] Change status bar text"

option)
>
> Security thorough obscurity is not security:
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20...egalInsecurity
>
> (and click through agreements are worthless anyway)
>
> --
> David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>



 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Ian Shere wrote:

Please read: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

> Trivial for anyone who know JS yes - that accounts for a very small %age
> of net users.


Or who don't know JS but know how to turn it off
or look at the HTML source
or right click and copy link location
or ...

> Second, hiding a link from appearing in the status bar is highly unlikely
> to annoy any but a minute number of users.


But a much larger proportion of users who bother to look at the status bar

> Third, a click through agreement beats nothing at all, and certainly in
> court here, would be VERY useful.


I'm not an expert in this field, but I find it highly doubtful that it will.
How do you prove they clicked through?

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
@SM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003


Ian Shere a ecrit :
>
> Figured it out! It was in this piece of code - onMouseOver="a('Go to FAQ's
> Page');return true. JS was reading the ' in FAQ's as the end of that
> portion of text and then didn't know what to do with 's - I just didn't
> notice the error message in the status bar!


You have to use \' insteed of '

<A HREF="freqquest.html" onMouseOver="a('Go to FAQ\'s Page');return true"
onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true;">I Agree</a>

onmouseover
and
onmouseout
! !

==== how to use window.status =====

<script type="text/JavaScript"><!--

// default status message
stat = "My so pretty home page on Net";
// default status (NN)
defaultStatus = stat;
// not clever browsers with default status
ie = (document.all || document.getElementById);
// special function to get back default message (not for NN)
function b() { if(ie) {window.status = stat; return true;} }
// to display a message in status bar
function a(txt) { window.status = txt; }
// launch default status (on IE)
onload = b;

// --></script>

<A HREF="freqquest.html" onmouseover="a('Go to FAQ\'s Page');return true;"
onmouseout="b();">I Agree</a>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2003
VK wrote:

> window.status="..."; return true;
>
> To activate the status change,


which one does not really want

> you always have to return the true.
> It comes from NN v2 prehistory, and it has no sense or use anymore, but
> ECMA keeps it for some reason (nostalgia?).


What are you talking about? There is no `status'
property in ECMAScript as `window' is a host object.


PointedEars
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hide Status Bar & Address Bar while file downloads, asp.net 2.0 axelman ASP .Net Web Controls 1 07-18-2008 03:25 AM
Hide Status Bar & Address Bar while file downloads, asp.net 2.0 axelman ASP .Net 1 07-18-2008 03:25 AM
IE doesnt hide status bar on window.open "status=no" Ronen Yacov Javascript 1 11-05-2007 09:53 AM
Re: disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a browser window John Hann ASP .Net 0 08-21-2004 05:07 AM
disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a browser window Matt ASP .Net 0 08-21-2004 03:50 AM



Advertisments