Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > forms/email/capturing info from a form?

forms/email/capturing info from a form?

Drew Kellas

Hi all!

OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts. I have been asked to
create a registration form for a club page on the web. I have been
able to create my input boxes and am now trying to find a way to get
the material entered in the boxes to populate an email to myself.
Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
it.

Can anyone help me out here?

Chris Smith

Drew Kellas wrote:
> OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts. I have been asked to
> create a registration form for a club page on the web. I have been
> able to create my input boxes and am now trying to find a way to get
> the material entered in the boxes to populate an email to myself.
> Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
> it.
>
> Can anyone help me out here?

Drew,

I already replied to you in comp.lang.java.programmer, where you posted
an identical article. If you would like to write to several places at
once, it's really best to use a cross-post, which doesn't split up the
resulting conversation, along with an appropriate followup header if
possible. That also makes it easier on you, since you don't have to
check many different places for isolated responses.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Drew Kellas) writes:

> OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts.

Very!
I don't know what "Java scripts" are, but Java has nothing to do with
the language we are discussing in this group: Javascript. It is not
scripts written in Java. It is not Java. It is a completely different
language. The marktoid at Netscape Corp who decided to rename
LiveScript to JavaScript (probably to ride the wave of hype) will not
soon be forgiven.

> I have been asked to create a registration form for a club page on
> the web. I have been able to create my input boxes and am now
> trying to find a way to get the material entered in the boxes to
> populate an email to myself.

Use server side programming for that. Forms are basic HTML, and
they work without any Javascript, including sending them to the
server.

If you use an action URL with the mailto: protocol, you can
(sometimes) get the form sent as mail instead of to a server.
However, that depends *heavily* on the configuration of the user's
machine (he has a mail program and accepts mailto: URLs), and
the format of the mail depends on the browser used too.

It is much safer to just send it to a server that you control, and
let that send the mail.

> Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
> it.

Cannot be done. Luckily. Otherwise you could send spam mail from
people's browsers when they visit your page ... without them knowning.

> Can anyone help me out here?

1) Use server side programming.

2) If completely unavailable, use some free mailer form that you find on
the net, i.e., use somebody else's server side programming (I don't
know where to begin to look).

3) If desperate, use a mailto: URL as the action of the form, but expect
it to fail.

In none of these cases do you need Javascript.

/L