Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > fedora core 1 and mozilla 1.4.1

fedora core 1 and mozilla 1.4.1

joost68

Hello,
I recently installed Fedora Core 1. Soon I started up Mozilla 1.4.1 to
surf te web, which whent smoothly as ever. Untill ... I wanted to change
the language.
Changing the language of the windows version is something I have done
several times, so I know the procedure. Every time I downloaded the
language pack (Dutch in my case) for Moz 1.4.1 and installed it, Mozilla
messes up. Logged-in as a user, Mozilla won't start up anymore. Instead
I get the see a oversized window with yellow background with some form
of code displayed. In the taskbar I can see that the system opens
something called 'mozilla.bin', but that soon dissapears if I close the
oversized window. When I switch to root, Mozilla seems to work fine.
Anyone has any idea's what going on. Please don't suggest to do a clean
istall op either Fedora or Mozilla. I installed Fedora allready 3 times
over the last days just to get a Mozilla in my own laguage. I did update
the system with 'yum'. I tried to remove Mozilla from my system, but
this did not succeed. I got a message that some version of
openoffice.libs is needed to be able to rome Moz. I also noticed that
Mozilla 1.4.1 is not listed as a suit in Linux. Mozilla browser and
Mozilla Mail have different entrys in the start-up menu, also the same
in the 'add/remove programs' panel.
As you can see I need some help!
Thanks in advance,
Joost

Randy

Make sure your Unix shell environment is free of Mozilla variables like
MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and the like. If in doubt (as to whether that's the
problem), create a new user account, log out, and then log in as that
user and run Mozilla.

You may also want to rename your ~/.mozilla until you get a newer
version working, so that you don't inherit any config info from your old
version.

To switch to a newer Mozilla, I suggest that you change the directory
name of the current installation (in /usr/lib) to something else. That
way, when you run a new version of Mozilla from /usr/local, you won't
accidentally access parts of other Mozillas.

FInally, I suggest that you pick up a version of Mozilla that's compiled
with the font extensions (I think it's -xft). It looks much better in
Linux than the default version distributed by Mozilla.

You can get XFT Mozilla binaries from:

http://www.scottbolander.com/mozilla-xft.html

Randy