Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Adding a Website Icon to the clients Desktop

Adding a Website Icon to the clients Desktop

Nik

Hi everyone,

Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

Thanks

Nik

Michael Winter

"Nik" wrote on 15/11/2003:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
> saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

In short, no.

There is no function for this in any version of JavaScript, and
methods for adding to a browser's 'Favourites' or 'Links' list is
specific to each browser.

Mike

--
Michael Winter
M.Winter@[no-spam]blueyonder.co.uk (remove [no-spam] to reply)

Evertjan.

Nik wrote on 15 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
> saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

This would be a security breach. You would make a file on the clients
machine!

Tell the user to drag the address icon to the desktop.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Andrew DeFaria

Nik wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there anyway of letting the user click on a link or image, and
> saving a shortcut icon to the users desktop?

Why would I want to allow you to clutter my desktop?
--
Don't you hate when your hand falls asleep and you know it will be up
all night.