Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > standard to metric converter program

standard to metric converter program

Lee

Dr John Stockton said:

>JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
>news:comp.lang.javascript, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> posted at Wed,
>29 Oct 2003 15:50:55 :-
>>Dr John Stockton said:

>>Actually, if I Google "standard to metric", the very first hit
>>is a page titled "US Standard to Metric Measurement Conversions",
>>so it seems that Google is a friend, after all.

>Since the American nation, collectively and individually, is so voluble,
>both in speech and in print, very naturally a large proportion of what
>is indexed by Google is of US origin. That means that Google, unless
>very thoughtfully used, is not a guide to proper usage.

Nobody offered it as such. The point in question was whether or
not Google would be a good source for the OP.

>>I don't believe that anybody outside the US can be as disgusted
>>with the US system as those of us who are stuck with it, and who
>>still hear idiotic reasons why we should continue to use it.

>The US claims to be a Democracy, or at least a Republic. Its populace
>should be open to rational argument, and the Administration,
>Legislature, and Judiciary are, AIUI, responsible for implementing the
>WillOfThePeople, in so far as it is rational to do so.

I'm not aware of any large body of people that can be trusted
to follow rational argument rather than emotional appeal or
what they already "know" to be true. You're certainly not a
good candidate to suggest that your people are any different.

John G Harris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Albert Wagner
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
<snip>
>In the last half-century since the end of World
>War II and the retreat of European colonialism, just what has the USA
>done to deserve this contempt?

<snip>

Posted job adverts in comp.lang.javascript without the acronym USA
appearing anywhere in the article

John
--
John Harris

Richard Cornford

"John G Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2Bz2GcAXKXo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip>
>>..., just what
>>has the USA done to deserve this contempt?

><snip>
>
> Posted job adverts in comp.lang.javascript without the
>acronym USA appearing anywhere in the article

The United States of America posted a job advert in
comp.lang.javascript? Did it leave an email address?

Richard.

Fabian

Albert Wagner hu kiteb:

> ... In the last
> half-century since the end of World War II and the retreat of
> European colonialism, just what has the USA done to deserve this
> contempt?

Um, is this a rhetorical question? Or do you genuinely have no idea?

> ...In fifty more years do you suppose it will be as forgotten
> as the parochialism of Europe that chopped up Africa, the Middle East
> and South Asia?

I doubt it. That hasn't been forgotten either by the descendants of
those involved.

Fabian
Visit my website often and for long periods!
http://www.lajzar.co.uk

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Albert Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I just did a scan of your most recent posts to this newsgroup and the
> quoted text above is typical.

All other things aside, I belive the statement:

> > There are probably more people in the EU who can read English
> > adequately than there are in the USA

to be true, and I see no reason to read it as critique of the US.
It might be wrong, but I think it is *probably* true.

Obviously many of us in the EU will only just speak English
adequately, and some not at all, but the population of the EU is 150%
of the population of the US, and all countries in the EU teach English
in school.

/L

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> posted at Thu,
30 Oct 2003 11:20:17 :-
>>That is of course true, since the Americans are notoriously pig-headed
>>in international affairs. I have just read, in my newspaper, of a group
>>of Americans who wanted to entertain an Iraqi to a generous lunch. So
>>far so good. But (a) it was in Ramadan, a time for dawn-to-dusk fast;
>>and (b) the menu included ham sandwiches. They don't even have the wit
>>to understand those who they invade.
>>
>>That attitude, on the part of the US, is not acceptable to those
>>elsewhere.

>Another attitude that is frowned upon in some places is to
>characterize the actions of a group of people as showing the
>attitude of their nation.
>
>It seems more likely to me that somebody made up a nice bash
>than that anybody in Iraq could possibly overlook the fact that
>it's Ramadan. Do you have a citation for the article?

Try a search of the Telegraph sites - the London Daily and Sunday
Telegraph. That London is in England, which is part of the UK. Search
also your own newspapers and other media.

But why do you assume that it took place in Iraq?

--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <sgC30eADbpo$(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript, Dr John Stockton <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted at Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:07:15 :-
>JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
>news:comp.lang.javascript, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> posted at Thu,
>30 Oct 2003 11:20:17 :-
>>>That is of course true, since the Americans are notoriously pig-headed
>>>in international affairs. I have just read, in my newspaper, of a group
>>>of Americans who wanted to entertain an Iraqi to a generous lunch. So
>>>far so good. But (a) it was in Ramadan, a time for dawn-to-dusk fast;
>>>and (b) the menu included ham sandwiches. They don't even have the wit
>>>to understand those who they invade.
>>>
>>>That attitude, on the part of the US, is not acceptable to those
>>>elsewhere.

>>Another attitude that is frowned upon in some places is to
>>characterize the actions of a group of people as showing the
>>attitude of their nation.
>>
>>It seems more likely to me that somebody made up a nice bash
>>than that anybody in Iraq could possibly overlook the fact that
>>it's Ramadan. Do you have a citation for the article?

>Try a search of the Telegraph sites - the London Daily and Sunday
>Telegraph. That London is in England, which is part of the UK. Search
>also your own newspapers and other media.
>

>But why do you assume that it took place in Iraq?

A Telegraph Web site search yielded the article name & date, enabling an
efficient personal search of the actual tangible newspaper itself.

Weds Oct 29, 2003, page 15, top, title "Jessica Lynch snubs lawyer who
helped to free her", by Marcus Warren in New York.

"A journey to the home town ... visit to Palestine, West Virginia. ...
.... . Local people laid on an impressive spread at a reception to greet
the al-Rehaiefs, only to discover that the family was fasting for
Ramadan. Even if the guests had been hungry they would have been
unlikely, as Muslims, to tuck into the ham sandwiches on offer."

In a place called Palestine, too !

About 20 column-centimetres / 8 column-inches and two pictures.

Below is a photograph of US soldiery - one has a chin almost like that
of Buzz Lightyear.

<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> JS maths, dates, sources.

Lee

Dr John Stockton said:

>JRS: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, seen in
>news:comp.lang.javascript, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> posted at Thu,
>30 Oct 2003 11:20:17 :-
>>>That is of course true, since the Americans are notoriously pig-headed
>>>in international affairs. I have just read, in my newspaper, of a group
>>>of Americans who wanted to entertain an Iraqi to a generous lunch. So
>>>far so good. But (a) it was in Ramadan, a time for dawn-to-dusk fast;
>>>and (b) the menu included ham sandwiches. They don't even have the wit
>>>to understand those who they invade.
>>>
>>>That attitude, on the part of the US, is not acceptable to those
>>>elsewhere.

>>Another attitude that is frowned upon in some places is to
>>characterize the actions of a group of people as showing the
>>attitude of their nation.
>>
>>It seems more likely to me that somebody made up a nice bash
>>than that anybody in Iraq could possibly overlook the fact that
>>it's Ramadan. Do you have a citation for the article?

>Try a search of the Telegraph sites - the London Daily and Sunday
>Telegraph. That London is in England, which is part of the UK.

Cultural differences again. Here in the US, that sort of thing
makes us think you're pretty pathetic.

>Search also your own newspapers and other media.

I used Google's News search for combinations of "Iraqi Ramadan,
luncheon, ham" and a few others.

>But why do you assume that it took place in Iraq?

Misread.

Moyea Video Converter with iPad video converter brntkobe1 Computer Support 0 04-18-2010 08:22 AM
BGP - metric David Hill Cisco 5 06-26-2009 10:05 PM
Metric Changed =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4gTG9v?= Wireless Networking 1 07-07-2005 02:00 PM
Backup route with better eigrp metric Daniel Eyholzer Cisco 3 12-06-2004 04:57 AM
automatic default route propagation into RIP: default metric Ben Low Cisco 2 12-28-2003 03:57 AM

Advertisments