Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why does Mozilla open its own mail program wqhen set not to?

Why does Mozilla open its own mail program wqhen set not to?

Albert Wiersch

I was thinking of switching to Mozilla, but when I click on a mailto: link,
it opens its own mail program instead of Outlook, which is my default mail
program. Why does it do this when I have the "Use Mozilla Mail as the
default mail application" option unchecked?

Without this working properly, I'm sticking to IE. Can anyone help?

--
Albert Wiersch
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

Keith Bowes

Albert Wiersch wrote:
> I was thinking of switching to Mozilla, but when I click on a mailto: link,
> it opens its own mail program instead of Outlook, which is my default mail
> program. Why does it do this when I have the "Use Mozilla Mail as the
> default mail application" option unchecked?
>
> Without this working properly, I'm sticking to IE. Can anyone help?

See http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.4/faq...#other-default

Also, you might want to try Firefox
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/> or K-Meleon
<http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/>, which are browser-only. They're not
as featured as the Mozilla suite, but some people like their minimalism.

Leonidas Jones

Albert Wiersch wrote:

> I was thinking of switching to Mozilla, but when I click on a mailto: link,
> it opens its own mail program instead of Outlook, which is my default mail
> program. Why does it do this when I have the "Use Mozilla Mail as the
> default mail application" option unchecked?
>
> Without this working properly, I'm sticking to IE. Can anyone help?

If you only want the browser, why not consider Firefox?

The suite is intended to function as just that, an integrated
application suite. While its possible to get Moz to open other email
clients, its usually messy even when it works.

Have you installed Mozilla as browser only? I have never done so, so I
don't know how this custom installation deals with mailto links. There
is also an extenstion called Launchy:

http://www.gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy.html

It should allow you to choose which email application to open a mailto.

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org

Albert Wiersch

Thank you!

I would have tried that but I ended up uninstalling Mozilla and then
reinstalling just the browser and it worked.

--
Albert Wiersch
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

"Keith Bowes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K3coc.1972$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Albert Wiersch wrote:
> > I was thinking of switching to Mozilla, but when I click on a mailto:

link,
> > it opens its own mail program instead of Outlook, which is my default

mail
> > program. Why does it do this when I have the "Use Mozilla Mail as the
> > default mail application" option unchecked?
> >
> > Without this working properly, I'm sticking to IE. Can anyone help?
> >

> See http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.4/faq...#other-default
>
> Also, you might want to try Firefox
> <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/> or K-Meleon
> <http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/>, which are browser-only. They're not
> as featured as the Mozilla suite, but some people like their minimalism.

Albert Wiersch

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qjgoc.45232$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you only want the browser, why not consider Firefox?

I would try Firefox if it were at a "release" level.

> Have you installed Mozilla as browser only? I have never done so, so I
> don't know how this custom installation deals with mailto links. There
> is also an extenstion called Launchy:

Yes, I uninstalled Mozilla and reinstalled the browser only. It worked. It
now opens Outlook.

--
Albert Wiersch
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/